Hyundai Electronic Braking System Recall 199

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Jay123, Dec 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jay123

Jay123 New Member

There is a recall #199 on many, if not most, Kona EVs due to a software fault in the electronic braking system that can lead to sudden loss of braking. This happened to my cousin today who owns a Kona EV and he was lucky to not get injured. I've attached the recall notice. Is there any reason to believe that the electronic braking system on our Niro Evs is not identical with similar risk of sudden total loss of braking? There is not yet any announcement of a similar recall from Kia. This makes me very nervous. Your thoughts please?

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Obeymydog

Obeymydog New Member

My paddle braking is sometimes glitchy... occasionally it suddenly releases and engages again. Related in some way?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. I would think it be a similar system, maybe different software? I would check with the dealer.

5. Jay123

Jay123 New Member

I got more details about my cousins Kona incident. He described an extremely mushy pedal and significantly reduced braking capacity despite pressing the brake pedal as far as it would go. The distance required to stop the car even at 50 mph was increased dramatically and had there not been a shoulder to pull off on, he would have rear ended the vehicle ahead which was slowing for a red light. This is the significant reduction of braking reported in the NHTSA recall...

"is due to a possible defect with the Integrated Electronic Brake system, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

In 8,176 affected vehicles, the IEB detects an abnormal sensor signal, and reduces braking power, according to the NHTSA recall report."

6. That is scary. After the power train and frame, I believe the two companies have different vehicles, but something to watch for sure.

7. To remove this ad click here.