Birthday:
Oct 22, 1966 (Age: 57)
Hardware Engineer

Share This Page

David T in Silicon Valley

Active Member, 57, from Silicon Valley, California

David T in Silicon Valley was last seen:
Dec 2, 2023
  • There are no messages on David T in Silicon Valley's profile yet.
  • About

Birthday:
    Oct 22, 1966 (Age: 57)
    Hardware Engineer
    I wanted to get an EV because of carbon concerns.

Even if EVs are somewhat more intensive to build, there is still a turnover point. I figure it sets an example and reminder just driving it around to people to try and live less impactful lives, whether they can afford a BEV or not. It also provides support to a young industry to spur better battery and power management technology (think cold weather vehicles, faster recharge, longer life, longer range, etc.)

I have followed greenhouse for 30 years. I know atmospheric scientists and studied side by side with them in grad school. I read technical data. As I have learned more I have gone from

1. This could be a problem and we need to think about understanding it and taking action when needed (90s)
    2. This is seriously worrisome. It looks to me like we are already past a tipping point and temperatures will quickly (100ish years) move to a point of new equilibrium with subsequent changes in crop yields, and coastal impacts. Won't wipe out humanity, but might destabilize governments and lots of suffering. (2000s until late 2017)
    3. We are in deep doodoo. This is now an existential crisis that possibly threatens industrialized civilization. Even if we went to carbon neutral today, there will be some significant suffering/refugees unless some magic and fast acting carbon capture miracle is developed. We have to act with urgency to reduce inevitable significant impacts and suffering.(Last year or so)