False "Charging socket flap open" message; windshield replacement

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Teddydogno1, Feb 26, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

My 16-month-old with 15k miles SE is now giving us a false "Charging socket flap open" message pretty much every time we drive. Obviously it is physically closed, but the sensor/contact is not registering this. I have searched and found others reporting this condition on other forums, but no answers other than "take it to the dealer."

My dealer is an inconvenient distance and direction away, so if there is an easy home fix, I'd love to hear about it. Anyone else have this happen regularly and fix it? I've ready "hit the latch with some WD-40." But I don't want to do anything that might make it worse or cause the dealer to say, "no warranty on that since you monkeyed with it."

Second question: how many have had to replace a windshield? A couple weeks back I got a good size rock chip right in the high center, but it did not spread. Before I could get it dealt with, last week another rock hit about 1 inch from the passenger-side edge and immediately cracked about 8 inches. I got a quote from a local independent glass shop for about $1100 installed with OEM glass, including the re-calibration needed for lane departure and adaptive cruise control. I'll only be paying my $250 deductible, so ultimately the total cost doesn't matter, but DANG! That's a lot of money. $300 of that is the calibration. I already did request covering the OEM glass since the car is so new, so that shouldn't be a problem. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Rob

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That seems like a decent price, I paid $1500 to replace my Clubman windshield after a deer collision, and it wasn't OEM glass nor is there fancy stuff like lane departure or adaptive cruise control.

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    All that stuff is behind the glass though…? The regular Coopers have them.

5. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

That seems crazy to me. Last time I replaced the windshield on an R56 Cooper S, it was under $600 ($280 for OEM glass).
    Granted, that was back in 2010... but still.

6. SameGuy

YUL
    OEM Toyota windshield on my antique Crapolla was CA$400 installed by an indie who goes to the dealerships, OEM Mercedes (smart) windshield — much taller and slightly narrower than the MC’s — was CA$480 four years ago. $1100 US is insane.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ghost

ghost Active Member

Most modern cars have an extra recalibration cost due to the lane departure cams that affix to the windshield.

Our giant Ford Transit windshield only cost $500 bc it didn't have any fancy sensors.

Yes, both charge flap and a new rock chip. Just turned 20k mi.

9. fishbert

I wonder how separable the recalibration work is from the glass work, and how accessible recalibration is.

If a rando glass shop can do the recalibration, could a thusly-inclined owner DIY it also?
    Can a persnickety owner have the glass shop just do the glass, and take it to the dealer for recalibration?

10. ghost

ghost Active Member

There's an expensive machine they use to recalibrate. I think the upcharge was around $250. Probably double at the dealer

11. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeesh

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Teddydogno1

For anyone interested, here's the work order/invoice for the windshield replacement. I paid my comprehensive deductible of $250.

[​IMG]

Rob

ghost and SameGuy like this.
  14. SameGuy

YUL
    Thanks Rob, that’s certainly eye-watering.

15. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

That price is right on. Mine was just under $1,100 at the dealer - $100 out of pocket.

16. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Jobber glass is mostly crap, it’s a bit thinner and lots of the “indie” guys don’t have the correct to set the height of the glass properly or the optics are off.

Wind noise and calibration issues of the sensors is pretty common or worse doesn’t bond properly because they were in a rush and the client can’t leave the car overnight Locally there are only 2 places that can handle replacements properly, especially on air cooled Porsche

I have to get the screen done on my 5dr and it will be around 1200$ for OEM glass and install.

17. Teddydogno1

This was done with MINI OEM glass.

Rob

18. SameGuy

YUL
    I think he was referring to my utter shock at these prices and my comments about getting cars done for perhaps a third of the price. Mine were OE glass, but no sensors or cameras, and relatively simple adhesive-and-rubber-flashing jobs (like you see in the SafeLite ads).

19. fishbert

You got taken for a ride, paying $525 on that glass…
    https://www.bmwminipartsdepot.com/oem-parts/bmw-windshield-green-rain-ligh-513110-51317443873
    https://parts.seattlemini.com/p/mini__/Windshield--green--rainlightfog/63630562/51317443873.html
    https://www.genuinebmwminiparts.com/oem-parts/mini-windshield-glass-51317443873

20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Just for joke how to avoid windshield damage D95CA2FD-0696-468D-B251-DA0DCEFDF7B9.jpeg

21. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Maybe relevant for negotiating as a cash payer, but doesn't really matter when using insurance. It's not like you'd provide your own part or DIY this fix, assuming they'd actually ship it at all or at a price less than MSRP.

SameGuy likes this.
  22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Back at the turn of the century I took delivery of my first gen-1 Honda Insight. I soon found it intoxicating to see the MPG gauge climb from 70 to 90+ by getting closer and closer to the semi truck in front of me. Eventually a driver who didn't like my little car disappearing behind his rig drifted onto the shoulder and persuaded a rock to explain the rules of the road to me and my windshield. After a new windshield (one of the most difficult to replace), 70 MPG seemed just fine.

CoachCookie likes this.
  23. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I have a small chip on the SE screen. Welcome to Quebec where the road ends up being shrapnel

SameGuy likes this.