Woo! Made most of my commute on electricity!

Discussion in 'Outlander PHEV' started by SilverNewt, May 31, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SilverNewt

SilverNewt New Member

I swapped cars with my husband yesterday - he took my 2019 Leaf to the shop for a speaker issue, I drove his 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander 17 miles to work. On the freeway, in rush hour traffic. I managed to drive most of the way to work on battery, but mashed the accelerator to merge into a rotary which kicked on the gas engine. The engine rumbled the rest of the way to work (another 3 minutes?) - I assume to warm things up a bit. Most of the energy went into the battery because it was all surface streets from that point to the office. Due to even worse traffic I took surface streets home and the battery was depleted after 13 miles, so the last 3 miles once again were with a rumbling engine.

I am pleasantly surprised that out of my 34 mile round-trip commute only 5 of those miles were gasoline assisted, way better than the EPA estimated 22 mile electric range.

zman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Totally off topic, but you used the word 'mashed' in the same sentence as 'rotary'. Are you from the south and transplanted to Canada?:D

4. SilverNewt

SilverNewt New Member

Sorry, just seeing this now - Michigan transplanted to Massachusetts :D