Winter tires?

Discussion in 'Honda' started by NewYorker, Jan 20, 2019.

1. NewYorker

NewYorker New Member

I bought my plug-in Clarity last fall - so far pleased with it. I live in Connecticut, so winter driving is important. Should I get snow tires, or are the "all-weather" tires that came on the car adequate?

2. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

The Michelin Energy-Saver tires on them now are "all-season", not "all-weather". They are better than summer tires in the winter but still much worse than winter tires. All-weather tires are a relatively new category of tires that actually do well on snow and ice and also do well in other seasons. One well tested tire is the Michelin CrossClimate+. They are rather expensive but will outperform the OEM under all conditions but do worse in fuel economy. Because they grip better than the OEM tires, you'll lose range and HV mileage. The other advantage is you'll not need to have an extra set of tires that you'll have to store and swap twice a year. If you're not a DIY type of person, the extra cost will add up quickly and exceed the difference in price for the CrossClimate+ tires. If you live in very cold and snowy conditions, swapping to bona fide winter tires is recommended always.

3. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

I recommend either Nokian Hakka R3 winter tires, or Michelin X-Ice 3's. Both are excellent winter tires, and both are low rolling resistance, so you can get the best range possible.