Winter Rims and Snow Tires

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by ironic ioniq, Jun 20, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ironic ioniq

ironic ioniq New Member

I picked up my Ulimate trimmed IONIQ5 with the 20 inch rims, but don't want to run on those in the winter. Prefer to get OEM fit winter rims (preferrably not steelies) and snow tires. With shortages of everything these days, want to look into this earlier than normal.

Has anybody on the forum have experience with buying snow tires and rims?

If I was to get 19" rims instead of 20" rims(wanting to save a few dollars), would there be an effect on my posted speed on the guage cluster? Might be a silly question, but I am coming from a 2015 Tesla Model S, and there was a spot to select the size of your rims, which I am assuming reset something to keep the speed your travelling accurate. As for posted range, not an issue as I go by state of charge as that is what I did with my Tesla.

Other than buying OEM winter rims from my Hyundai dealer, does anybody know of any tire shops like 1010 tire and the like that would acutally have OEM rims available. I do not want to have to deal with concentric rings, just want rims that will bolt on directly, as I had a bad experience a few years ago with another car I had. When changing over from winter to summer, one concentric ring was left on. When making a low speed(luckily) sharp turn into a mall, the left front bolts snapped.

Any help, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ironic ioniq

ironic ioniq New Member

Thanks for your reply.

I guessing, I'm going to have to stick to 20 inch rims, and just bear the extra cost. When I was at the dealer getting the recall corrected, they had a video screen and it was showing winter rims for the IONIQ5, so will be going in to talk to them.

4. Christopher Beer

Christopher Beer New Member

As Jim said, the diameter of the tire keeps your speedometer calibrated, not the rims. So you can get 19" rims with an appropriate tire and not have to worry about adjusting the speedometer.

Since the Ionic 5 is available with 19" rims (the SE and SEL trims), getting 19" rims from the dealer for your Limited should be easy. If the Ionic 5 uses the same bolt pattern as other Hyundia vehicles you should also be able to get after market rims.

5. ironic ioniq

ironic ioniq New Member

Thanks Christopher Beer, ahd Jim Matthews, I don't know what I was thinking at the time. I owned a Lexus SC430 with after market rims that were the same size as the originals, but put on a different diameter tire, so I knew my speedometer was not entirely accurate. I have been studying the sites that Jim Matthews has attached to his reply.

It would be nice to get 19" rims and save a few dollars along as the tire diameter is correct.

6. To remove this ad click here.