Will they get rid of the "pauses" in charging when we get our new batteries?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Mar 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

When Campaign 196 was completed, the car started having charging pauses for cell balancing at 82% (Level 2 only) and 90% (both, Level 2 and DC Fast). I wonder if they will remove those pauses when we get our new batteries??? If the new batteries won't catch fire, this should no longer be needed..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Correct. However, do you think it really matters?
    On a 9-10h charge (L2) do 10 more minutes really matter?
    On case of DC fast charge. Why would you ever DC fast charge above 80% anyways?

4. FloridaSun

I DC fast charge to 90% all the time as I get it for free.. Same goes for L2 charging.. I rarely charge at home as I can get charge for free.. Left the car on a free charger yesterday for 5 1/2 hours and it took 40 mins from 82 to 83%.. I disconnected at 83% as it was still charging at 1kw.. Screenshot_20210307-112556_ChargePoint.jpg

5. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    Since the recall replaces the entire BSA (Battery System Assembly), which also includes the BMS electronics and firmware, you're getting a complete battery system and BMS to the same spec as used in production!

John

apu and FloridaSun like this.
  6. Well, that's easy more than a 10 minute balancing action and definitely shouldn't be happening with a non recall battery. As mentioned, the BMS will definitely be changed/updated once recalled.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. So, would anyone reading this thread with a post-March 2020 battery please say if they are getting these 10 minute delays?

9. No delay @ 80 or 90%, manufacture date 2020/08/27 - BMS ROM ID 0980 in a 37501-K4054 (insulation coated cathode -non anode tab folded) pack:confused::)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    mho and syntaxfx like this.
  10. FloridaSun

It's the first time that this happened.. It usually was 10 mins at 82% but this time, I shut it off after 45 mins at 1 kw draw.. Not sure why this happened..

11. Thanks for that. :)

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

To my knowledge I am not experiencing a 10 minute delay. Where/when would the delay occur and how would I know it's happening? My vehicle appears to be charging normally but I have only had mine for a month....

14. The delays were introduced to help balance the cell voltages better than before. They kick in at just above 80% SoC and again at just above 90% SoC.
    It was a "fix" to reduce the risk of fire and it only applied to the battery packs built prior to March 2020.
    We all expect/hope that when our older packs are replaced, we won't have those delays anymore - they'll be unnecessary.

As your car is likely a 2021 model, you shouldn't be experiencing the delays at all.

15. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Mine's a 2020 but the battery date is April 22 2020 so I appear to have snuck in under the wire. I have only charged past 80% when overnight charging during my travel days between New Jersey and Florida in February so if there were any delays I was sleeping when they occurred. At home I stop at 80% for battery health purposes.

Esprit1st and syntaxfx like this.
  16. eurokeitai

eurokeitai New Member

The new Hyundai ioniq 5 was recently spotted charging at 140kW just before 80%, pausing for a whilec charging at 3kW, and then accelerating the charge speed again. So I take the pause is going to stick there for Kona too.

17. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

I'd be highly surprised if they didn't re-use the electronics in the pack - the labour to swap the modules should be less than the cost of new manufacture.
    Chances are they'd do a software update after replacing the pack.

18. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Did I miss something here are pre 2020 kona's getting new Batterys ???

electriceddy likes this.
  19. mho likes this.