Why does my Ioniq5 not charge any faster than about 50 kW ?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by InsdE, Dec 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. InsdE

InsdE New Member

On the "chargemyHyundai" network (=Ionity) and many others my car never charges any faster than about 50 kW.

The car should not the problem, because on the FastNed network in the Netherlands I can charge comfortably at 120 kW. The car's limit is 220 kW.

Can someone please explain this?

I am aware of temperature and State of Charge level limitations. That should not be the issue.
    Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You have successfully performed the first diagnostic procedure: achieving a 120 kW charging rate at a non-Ionity charging station. Have you seen any other EVs at the Ionity charging stations charging at rates higher than 50 kW? If so, it seems the mystery will persist unless Ionity can explain the problem.

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Do you have the IONIQ 5 Long Range with the 697 volt 77.4kWh battery? There's also the old 72.6kWh battery and the 522.7 volt 58kWh battery.

5. InsdE

InsdE New Member

Thanks for your replies. I am starting a new thread on this issue.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm confused. Is the question this thread's title poses no longer valid?

Darn, I was hoping to learn whether @InsdE's I5 was the only vehicle charging slowly at the Ionity charging stations.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. InsdE

InsdE New Member

no, it turns out there are lots of people with the same problem. And in colder temperatures (battery temp below ca 15 oC) 50kW is max. You need battery precondition software update to overcome this, but not all ioniq5 s can have this feature. See https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/battery-heating-update-bms-version-5408.43425/page-2

I am pursuing this with Hyundai since this is a guarantee issue. Their sales info clearly state that charging from 10-80 % can be done in 18 minutes, and that this works on the IONITY network. No mention of winter temperatures preventing this…

insightman likes this.
  9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

It is very possible to both simultaneously coldgate (under 25C) the outside battery modules and rapidgate (over 50C) the inner ones during DC Fast charging for the I5. There should be 16 battery temperature sensors if you really wanted to track the data.

Alternatively you could have another brand with LFP that DC Fast charge coldgates without battery preconditioning in the winter.

electriceddy likes this.