What's your charging record?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Geor99, May 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Today was a very unusual day for my Clarity.

I charged it from zero to hero (0 miles to full) 4 times over the past 30 hours.

This is a very rare occurrence, which is good because I would burn through my battery life in no time.

What's the most amount of charge cycles that you guys have done in a day?

And I realize that no one knows and that some have made guesses based on other cars; but I would really like to see a # of charge cycles versus ev miles (on a full charge) graph estimate from Honda.

While 4 times in a day was unusual, I put 2 charge cycles per day, 6 times per week normally.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

3 charges is quite common here, 4 sometimes. Today happened to be a 4 charge day for a total of 21.33 KWh.

Today our solar system generated 52Kwh so charging the car was zero cost as far as the electric grid is concerned. 52KW was enough to supply the 21KW for the car, plus all the needs of the house, and we pumped 27KW back into the grid.

It was a good day.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    insightman, 01SB and Sandroad like this.
  4. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

My record is 2 charges in one day, although sometimes it also can be 0 on a given day. I guess I should get out more, but I am retired and like my house (and electric bill)!

5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I'm typically charging less than 2 hours a day (16amp 240v). I have a 20 mile round trip commute to work, so I use less than 40% of the battery in any given day. I have burned about 8 gallons of gasoline in 1300 miles due to several road trips where I used HV mode almost the entire trip.

6. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Using 21kW for the car is around 1.5 full charges, right?

So, you top off your car? Meaning if it is 3/4 charged, you fill it up if available?

95% of the time, I run it down to zero as my commute is 35 miles and I go up to 75 mph for a good chunk of it with the A.C. running.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Started the day at full charge on Wednesday.
    Drove 35 miles. Charged on 120-volt (ZenCar) at 16-amps for 5 hours.
    Drove 35 miles. The last 0.5 mile, I hit 0 EV, and ICE kicked on.
    Charged on 240-volt (ZenCar) at 16-amps for 2 hours.
    Drove 25 miles. Arrived home with 2 EV showing.
    Plugged in to 120-volt stock charger and charged overnight.

94.5 miles total on EV on Wednesday.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  9. dnb

dnb Active Member

Gonna have to get a lvl 2 charger to play with you guys ;), the 12hr 0-full just won't cut it :D

MPower and Mowcowbell like this.
  10. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Last Saturday was in a parade in the AM. About 70 miles driven and 30% charge remaining. Got home and charged during lunch, then we took the Clarity to the farmers market downtown and ran a bunch of other errands. Put another 80 miles on that charge. Since we were done for the day, let it charge at it's normal delayed time (after 10 PM). So total of about 150 miles.

It was interesting to note that got lots of comments on how sharp the car looked, some related to the Vortex Blue, others about the overall appearance -(maybe people are getting used to the "unusual" styling?). Got as much or more attention as the Model 3's.

Had it displayed at an Energy Fair and EV Showcase for County employees the day before, and got many similar comments liking the styling (put about 110 miles on that day with an interim charge)

I've only used DCFC once, primarily to see if it worked and check charging speed. Started with about 60% SOC and charge rate was ~34 kW at that point. I think I got about 20 miles in 10(ish?) minutes before disconnecting.

11. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

You obviously have the all electric clarity, right?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The beautiful Vortex Blue Pearl is Honda's "hero" color for the Clarity Electric. It's not available on the Fuel Cell or Plug-In Hybrid. The hero color for the Plug-In Hybrid is Moonlit Forest Pearl. The Clarity Fuel Cell is the only one to offer Bordeaux Red Metallic (with a black roof, as with all Clarity Fuel Cell cars).

14. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Even a $185 16amp Level 2 EVSE running on 240v makes a huge difference in charge times. ~4.5 hours to charge from empty to full.

15. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

You sound like Patrick Bateman:)

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Of course. All wealthy serial killers know the color schemes of the Honda Clarity intimately.

17. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

We plug in every time we pull into the garage. Or another way of saying it is if the car is in the garage it is plugged in.
    Our first trip is when my wife leaves the house at 7:25am to take the little guy to school - 25 miles round trip but she throws in a few more miles for the gym or shopping, or church. So we've used up more than 1/2 the charge by that time and wouldn't have enough charge for the return trip to pick him up from school.
    Then there can be late afternoon trips, or trips to meetings later in the day, his karate lessons, etc.