What about when the batteries die?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gomezaddams51, Jun 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Gomezaddams51

Gomezaddams51 New Member

This is a boneyard near Paris, France with hundreds of electric powered cars.

Mind you these are only cars used by the City of Paris and not personal vehicles.

All of these have the same issue,.... the battery storage cells have given out and need replaced.

Why not just replace them you ask? Well two reasons. First the battery storage cells cost almost double what the vehicle cost new, and second no landfill or disposals will allow the batteries to be disposed of there.

So these green fairy tale electric cars are all sitting in vacant lots while their batteries drain toxins into the ground.

Still think we need to go green???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gonzogeezer

gonzogeezer New Member

What people who have elsewhere posted these photos fail to mention, because it doesn’t suit their position, is what is ACTUALLY being shown in these photos. These cars, made by the major French company Bollore were used in a now defunct car-sharing program in Paris called Autolib. The company lost too much money, and the government pulled its support for the program, so the cars were parked in the field, as shown, but AFTER the batteries were removed and the connections sealed. And it was all done in collaboration with the area fire department, who inspected the place to give its approval. This information is all in the public record and a 30-second Google image search will provide multiple citations. Yes, some are in foreign languages, but Google will translate them.

But verifying facts don’t support your agenda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJP, brulaz, Esprit1st and 3 others like this.
  4. @gonzogeezer Thanks for the clarification! I was going to post something similar since I've heard about that project as well. This kind of false information (actually all false information) should be pointed out as you did. Thanks!

5. Gomezaddams51

Gomezaddams51 New Member

Well I don't have an agenda, what I do have is trying to figure out if going to an EV is worth the outrageous money I would need to spend. I was going with what was posted on another forum. According to what I have found online the batteries last MAYBE only 15 to 20 years and cost around $10,000-$12,000 (or more) to replace. That is definitely NOT economical... It only costs around $5K to $8K to rebuild a gasoline motor. Not exactly comparable. Right now I have a 1999 Ford Explorer that has 300K miles and is still going strong. I know sooner or later I will have to replace it and am doing as much research as I can to find out if an Ev is worth buying.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I've only meet three people who have rebuilt a gas engine in a vehicle that they own. And they where three teenagers working in their dad's garage.

It's just plain rare for Folks to rebuilt engines unless it's under warranty. Unless it's a Hyundai, gas engines are just plain reliable.

turtleturtle likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Returning from an overseas assignment in 1973, I rebuild a 1500 cc VW MicroBus engine in a week and drove it to my next duty station. It was actually kinda fun though I let the local VW dealer do the heads and crank/rods/pistons. Some stuff should be outsourced.

Bob Wilson

9. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I do not know anyone who has keep their vehicle over 10 years. So for most people if battery lasts for 15-20 years, that is more than long enough.

Besides that any vehicle that is 15-20 years old has no resell value and no one will bother spending $5000-6000 on something that old.

Dan

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The batteries get repurposed (such as for backup power at EVSE stations) or recycled, so the economic impact isn't going to be any worse than whatever happens to dead internal combustion engines.

If you factor in the cost of operation for your ICE vehicle over that 15-20 years plus the $5000-$8000 engine replacement, it will cost much more than $12,000 compared to replacing the batteries in an EV.

bwilson4web, miatadan and gonzogeezer like this.
  11. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

From what I read in many articles the cost of battery packs continue to come down in price.

This is why we have new vehicles such as VW ID4, Audi Q4 etron, Mustang Mach-E with 250 miles plus range compared to first generation Nissan Leaf, BMW i3 etc.

It would be expected that replacement batteries will come down in pricing as well.

Dan

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Uhh, yeah, you don't have an agenda, except to post right wing drivel on the site.

Please, be serious

You are not doing research, you are spreading propaganda

turtleturtle and Esprit1st like this.
  14. So, you're comparing an EV battery to an engine rebuild?

First off, an easy lookup on YouTube will show you first model Tesla owners are still going strong with sometimes less than 10% battery degradation on their battery packs. And those cars are getting to 8+ years of age. So, you expect those batteries to for in the next few years? I doubt that.

The reason for that is that these batteries are greatly card for by advanced BMSs. Not like cell phone batteries that have no BMS and are terribly cared for by their owners.

Next is that you don't mention drivetrains, exhaust, transmission, bearings, brakes, etc. A 15+ year old ICE car has or will have replacements of all these parts coming up soon. That's what makes an ICE car expensive, plus all the minor things like gaskets and all the little stuff.

Nothing like that even exists on an EV. So you're comparison just doesn't work that way.

miatadan likes this.
  15. But the truth is the vast, vast, vast majority of people will not rebuild that engine but will buy another car, and most ICE cars will be toasted in 20-25 years and sent to their own graveyard. I'm sure there will be EVs in "graveyards" in 25 years, but so will gas cars. And now there are increasing numbers of places around the world that are recycling the batteries and retrieving various metals and chemicals.

Another truth is that EVs have so many fewer moving parts to break down, they're cheaper to run and repair. Yes, they cost more than an equivalent ICE car, but over those 20-25 years, you'll save more than that difference in the cost to keep it running.

DJP, bwilson4web and miatadan like this.
  16. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

We are already seeing the development of million mile batteries.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32801823/million-mile-ev-battery-pack-revealed/

Plus, don't forget that while the a traction battery may have degraded to the point where is not useful to power a vehicle, the battery may still be useful for other purposes. Secondly, even with degradation, these two-hundred-mile-plus batteries when new may be strong enough to power a second hand car for work or school.