VW High Voltage Battery Warranty

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by VeeDub'r, Nov 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Does anyone here have any info or thoughts as to how VW's "8-Year" battery warranty will actually work?

How is normal "Battery Health Degradation" 1) assessed, and 2) accounted-for for warranty pro-rating purposes?

My simplified illustrative "example":
    • A new battery propels car 250 mi at "standard" test conditions.
    • After 7 years, the battery only propels the car 10 mi at the same standard conditions.
    Q: Has the battery "failed" under the terms of the warranty?

An aggressive debater might argue, "No it hasn't - the battery has not 'failed' - it still DOES propel the car 10 miles."

This is an admittedly extreme and simplified example only for illustrative purposes ...

... I'm confident that VW would "warranty-out" a battery which only provided 10 miles of propulsion after 7 years (assuming no abuse) ... but at what "pro-rated" terms?

What if it the 7-year max range was 150 mi (e.g. greater than a 5% "range degrade" per year) ... what if it was only 100 mi ... ???

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. After conducting a bit of pre-purchase "tooth pulling" research ... I've got the answer from VW.

The "Performance Metric" for the 8-year/100k Mile is battery warranty is "Net Battery Capacity"

VW warrants that this value will remain above 70% for the warranty period.

No statement is provided re: pro-rating.

It does include the statement, " ... if battery is completely replaced ... the replacement may not be of an 'as-new' condition with 100% net capacity"

Also confirmed that Net Battery Capacity CAN be read by field-techs. (i.e. it doesn't require an off-site "data dump analysis" by the VW Mothership)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    Paula Dyas likes this.