Used e-golfs - glut of 2016s - why?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by Angelo, Jun 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Angelo

Angelo New Member

We've been test driving a few used e-golfs locally here in CO. It's a great feeling car and for the $ a good option for a low use city car for a family. For some reason they are ALL 2016 models. They are typically being purchased by local dealers from CA locations. I have a hard time imagining they are all coming off leases. Is there a problem with this year for this car? Each car we've researched has had issues with charging. Most of them with the charging port on the car. Two of the cars won't charge to full capacity. No dealer is sending these through the Certified Pre-Owner process, so a bit concerned. Battery is covered for 8 years or 100k miles, so that helps, but not getting a good feeling on the charging. How can we be sure about the health of the battery?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pezzy669

Pezzy669 New Member

Based on what I have seen with a number of the 2016's I looked at they typically sold VERY late in the model year when the '17 model year gassers were sitting right next to them. My used '16 was first registered by first owner in Jan or Feb 2017 and I picked it up off lease March this year - they turned it in month 36 on the mark.

I think its just the glut of lease returns, soon its going to be mainly 2017's.

4. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

I think that these have the smaller 24.2kWh battery pack? The 2017 has a 35.8kWh pack which has a significantly longer range.

5. Creed17

Creed17 New Member

I have a 2016 e- Golf SEL, great little car and rides well. I don't have those problems with charging but the only issue I have is the range. But it was made that way. The e-Golfs only sold in certain states, maybe 12 states? Anyway I'm in FL so it made its way down here. Great car but I will prolly sell it soon and the perfect buyer would be someone who just wants to do city driving.