Type 2 Charging

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by PRGDénia, Feb 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. PRGDénia

PRGDénia Member

This is just a query on charging at type 2 public stations.
    I've used 50kw fast charging stations no problem. I've also used a free type 2 public charging station with my type 2 cable and got 7.4kWh from the charger. I live in Spain and have a 2020 64kWh Kona Style which I think is the premium model here. A new Mercadona supermarket opened up here recently and it has a couple of bays for free charging. There is no information about the chargers, since they are new I guess, but when I plug in I only get 3.5kWh from them. Was wondering if that's their rated output or whether it's down to the car or my type 2 cable? The panel on the charger in the car says Output Power 10.5kw and Output Current 33 Amax. The info on the cable says 32A EVO7EE-H 3G6.00mm2+2x0.5mm2 450/750V. So is this something to do with not having a 3 phase cable? Is it just the limit of the wall charger supply or something about the in car charger? Any input gratefully accepted.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CR123

CR123 New Member

Mercadona limited all of the chargers at 3.5kW.

PRGDénia likes this.
  4. PRGDénia

PRGDénia Member

Ah right! Did they publish anything on that?

5. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

There are Type 2 cables designed just for 16A but you tested it's not your case.
    Also there are three phase Type 2 cables that could be 16A or 32A, yielding 11kW or 22kW
    And at last the charger inside your car can be three phase or just one phase.

PRGDénia likes this.
  6. CR123

CR123 New Member

PRGDénia likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PRGDénia

PRGDénia Member

Thank you, how can I confirm if the charger in my car and my type 2 cable supports 3 phase charging?

9. PRGDénia

PRGDénia Member

Ah thank you. That is very helpful.

10. CR123

CR123 New Member

Look at the charging port and crosscheck if you car has L2 and L3 conectors.

PRGDénia likes this.
  11. PRGDénia

PRGDénia Member

Looking at the port it does appear to have the 2 lower L2 and L3 connectors.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CR123

CR123 New Member

So your car has three phases.

PRGDénia likes this.
  14. mho and PRGDénia like this.
  15. PRGDénia

PRGDénia Member

16. As a note, my single phase 32A Type 2 cable has the same 3G6.00mm2 specification written on it. How did you determine your cable is 3-phase?

PRGDénia likes this.
  17. PRGDénia

PRGDénia Member

Yes, I think that is just the grade of cable used. From the description provided above I was able to confirm that the L2 and L3 pins are populated on both the cable sockets.