Towing Capacity?

Discussion in 'Kia EV6' started by Texas Niro EV, Nov 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

So what’s the deal? All the articles I have seen say that the towing capacity for the EV6 is 3,500 lbs but the Kia website says that the towing capacity is 2,000 lbs. Is the 3,500 lb rating just for European EV6s or is the rating on the Kia website just for the 2WD version with the numbers for the 4WD version to come out later?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Texas Niro EV

The Kia website now says 2,300 pounds but that still a long way from 3,500 pounds. According to https://electrictowcars.com/kia-ev6/, the 3,500-pound rating is only for the non-USA version, the USA version will get the 2,300-pound rating. With the 3,500-pound rating the EV6 would be just marginal for towing my boat but without the rating I don't see the EV6 as meeting my needs.

I have a reservation on an F150 Lightning but the F150L won't fit in my garage. I guess I'm just going to sit on the fence and keep my Niro EV and my 4x4 Envoy until I can get a 4x4 EV that has decent towing capacity and can fit in my garage.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Does Kia think USA customers don't want to tow much? I'd be interested to learn which non-USA EV6 models can tow 3,500 lbs. Is it just the top-of-the line model? Is it all 4WD models? Why wouldn't Kia offer their best options in the USA? Don't they make more profit on the vehicles packed with the most options? Is exceeding the MSRP of a Tesla Model Y illegal regardless of what better features are included?

5. Texas Niro EV

The rating system for towing in other countries is different than in the USA. Other countries have a lower maximum towing speed and require a higher tongue weight percentage, which makes the towing more stable at speed. The lower tow rating for the USA really has nothing to do with the car design.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. JONATHAN BARTON

JONATHAN BARTON New Member

The USA population is 4.25% of the worlds so perhaps you get the attention you deserve European towing regulations are much tighter than US ones and therefore there is less risk in Europe. Kia can sell all they can make so no real rush for marginal markets

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. zofodraziw

zofodraziw New Member

Thr US car market is the 2nd largest by country behind China. How does that constitute a marginal sales market?

Christian Reading likes this.
  9. Thoralophon

Thoralophon New Member

I know this is an older post, but I ran across this earlier while looking for towing info. Thought I would add it to the thread.

From a French Canadian website, GuideAutoWeb.com:
    "for the 2022 ev6 AWD LR... Maximum towing capacity is rated at 2,300 pounds."

And for the 2023 model year "Towing capacity 1,043 kg (2,299 lb, with trailer with brakes)"

I found this on another forum (hope they don't mind that I borrowed it):

"US EV6 Trailer Weight Limits
    [​IMG]
    "
    For me the tongue weight is the most interesting piece as it is less than the rating for the hitch itself, as well as for the Class rating.
    Jon.