Torque Pro (Paid version) Question

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tim94549, Nov 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I have seen several postings in the past of detailed pictures of the Battery Cell Voltages and variations for every cell. (bearing in mind this new Recall Campaign 960). Are you guys getting those figures using the TORQUE PRO App (paid version) with the accompanying OBDII Dongle? Which setting gets you those values? I have the Dongle but have yet to purchase the PRO version if THAT's not what I need.

Thanks so much.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

Hi,
    Yes, most people use Torque Pro although there are other options like CarScanner which are simpler to set up.
    For Torque you need setting up external PIDs for Kona that you can find on GitHub.
    For the 96 individual cells you need to download and import a Dashboard file that someone kindly shared on this forum.
    Other option instead of those 96 sensors is using just two, one with the Max Voltage and one with the Minimum. There's another one with the difference between those two, but it always shows 0 for me.

Good luck

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  4. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    I get the figures using Torque Pro (paid version) with extra PID's from JejuSoul on Github installed into the app

https://github.com/JejuSoul/

It takes an age to set up the 98 PID's for cell voltage, and you also have to set 2 decimal places for each of the cell PID's
    I have created a dasboard file which makes setting up Torque Pro easier:-
    Screenshot_20201025-104901_Torque.jpg

You can also use Soul EV Spy - It's easier to use, but much more expensive:-
    ycuOWBqoJ3QQU6UXoJJKalyUELY1YMtSFY-xo70lU5pBbvh7-aP7VwC53MpRKPnDbEw=w1280-h854.png

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

It's a lot of work to define all 98 cell groups to the screen.. There is no way to do all at the same time.. Torque Pro is cheap as you have to do a lot of work manually to make it work.. SoulSpy is basically plug and play. I grouped 96 cells on one page, overlapping each other... Cell 97 and 98 are on another page..
    Screenshot_20201003-150538_Torque.jpg

6. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Thanks guys !! I think the SOUL EV Spy is the way to go for me ... a lost less work, and from looking at the LITE version, makes a lot more sense.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

If I would have known about Soulspy, I would have gotten it but at the time when I got Torque Pro, it was the only one I was aware of..

9. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

There are PIDs for min and max cell voltages, and deviation, to avoid the need to show all the cells.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

I already said that.
    Also take a look at CarScanner the free version. I use the deviation there.

11. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I have both - I had gotten TorquePro long before I had the Kona.

One thing I like about SoulEVSpy is that I can reload a previous session that is stored on the phone, and use that to see what things were like in the past.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

If you insist on looking at every cell block individually, you can probably accelerate the
    configuration process a little by scripting up a template for a .CSV file, editing in all the
    appropriate labels/offsets and maybe even gauge positions?? in a real editor with a real
    keyboard, and then crossload that into Torque.

I've also pointed out the two figures that are much easier to deal with, lowest cell voltage
    and highest cell voltage. You can even graph just those two figures together while putting
    the pack through various forms of abuse, to try and ferret out potential (heh) issues under
    high load. Data comes back a lot faster because it's only two OBD2 queries instead of 98,
    assuming Torque is as stupid about multiple queries/responses under the same PID as the
    other "pro level" packages. Maybe SoulSpy etc are better about aggregation?

The queries, btw, are CAN ID 7E4, mode 22, pid 0101. Returned byte X / 50 gives you max
    cell voltage, Z / 50 gives you minimum. Resolution is 0.02 volt. Reorder the fields however
    is appropriate for your app. Figures for *which* cells are the specific high/low ones can
    also be had via the Y and AA parameters, and in theory should bounce around all over in
    a well-balanced pack, but on mine, never more than 0.02V different that I've ever observed,
    those high/low N tend to settle on a small handful of values like 1 and 84. That probably
    has more to do with the internal scan order that the BMS does, not actual cell variance
    so far. I'd be interested in what other folks see as their own min/max N, too.

_H*

14. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

For a charge session, plus “sitting” afterwards, my Kona’s typical min/max pair is 28/46, min more stable than max. The pack is boringly consistent to spec at any charge level, just the regularly occasional 0.02 variation...