Tire recommendation?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JimW, Sep 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JimW

JimW Active Member

I have 44,000 miles on the original Michelin Energy Savers. I've read some of the threads on tires, but don't see any clear winner that people have actually installed on this car. I'd like better handling, similar low noise, and am willing to sacrifice a little range. We have moderate climate in Tennessee with infrequent snow.

I like Michelins and have put Pilot Sport A/S 3 on last few sedans. The guy at local tire store said the CrossClimate 2 has unusual tread pattern and has been reported as noisy. He is recommending sticking with the factory Energy Savers.

Anyone had great experience from a particular tire?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

@JimW

I put a set of CC2 on my Subaru in February. I notice zero noise difference vs the OEM tires that come with the Subaru. Granted the OEM tires are not energy saves but the Continentals that came on the Subaru were very quiet tires...just not great in the snow.

The tread pattern is partially what provides the very good handling in snow and wet roads along with a softer compound among other things. There has been a 6% reduction in MPG on the Subaru.

CC2 is a good tire for the right climate and situation. Everyone has different needs n tolerances with tires and tire selection is very subjective. In my case, I live where there is enough snow and wet, cold weather where I like a tire engineered more towards those conditions. With that said, there are several tires in this class offered by a variety of brands and reviews are good on most of them as well. Its more about the type and capability of the tire than the brand.

I will be putting a set of CC2 on my Clarity before the winter weather sets in. I plan to post about the tires probably 6 months after installation.

4. I went with the Continental PureContact LS which are highly rated and are quieter than the stock tires and much less expensive. CR reported tire life was 90k which was higher than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

228ra likes this.
  5. Annwn

Annwn Member

An alternative to the CC is the Nokian WR G4. Like the CC they are true all-season tires (despite being listed as winter tires in some places) and I can confirm the tires on our Corolla make it handle better than the all-weather tires on our 4wd Explorer in winter. Their tread is also a bit more normal than the CC2. Same 60k mile warranty on them. A bit harder to find than the CC - Wal-Mart can order them and Discount Tire can too (even if not on their website). Some other shops have them (Nokian website has a search function). Typically a bit cheaper than the CC if I recall. I'll be ordering them for our Clarity when the stock tires need replaced.