Tire Pressure Warning Light

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Brewer Fan, Jul 15, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

I’m sure this has been discussed before but I can’t find it. I picked up our 2023 mini SE in June. After driving it for over 600 miles everything‘s great and we left for a vacation and didn’t drive it for almost 2 weeks. Today we drove it and the tire pressure warning light came on. We checked and the front tires are between 39 and 40 and one of the back tires is 38 and the other is 37. The chart on door says recommended front tires is 38 and 35 for back. These are nitrogen filled tires. Should we take some out or just leave it alone like my husband says. We’re in South Carolina weather is anywhere from 80° to in the 90s or higher. Today it happened to be 77° for about 20 minutes. Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Wreckless117

Wreckless117 Well-Known Member

I would leave it, a few psi over recommended isn't going to make or break anything. Probably just reset the tpms system to accommodate your local temps and go about your day.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

Ok- husband thought resetting wouldn’t help (didn’t understand his reasoning) but I’ll probably do and will see what happens

5. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Yep - resetting it step one and then let's see how it does.

6. Wreckless117

Wreckless117 Well-Known Member

It will reset the parameters of when the warning light will trigger. I don't know the exact psi drop required on the SE before the warning triggers, but if say it's a 5 psi drop, and you reset at 40psi, it will trigger at 35psi. If reset at 45psi, triggers at 40psi, and so on...

MichaelC likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Tire pressure should be checked when cold, so I would leave it for now then check it again after the car has been sitting a while (e.g., first thing in the morning... unless you work nights!).

I would also recommend verifying the accuracy of your pressure gauge, since not all can really be trusted.

Finally, it's worth thinking of optimal tire pressure as a range, with the manufacturer's recommended values really just a starting point to finding your preferred trade-off between range, comfort, wear and handling.

MichaelC and Wreckless117 like this.