There are two schools of thought emerging when it comes to electric vehicle sounds

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Jul 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/mobility/article-there-are-two-schools-of-thought-emerging-when-it-comes-to-electric/

Regarding the Mini Cooper SE sound:

"When developing sound for the Mini Cooper SE, Vitale began with its 60-year history, its design and also the fact that the car is started, not by the push of a button, but by the press of a lever, which reminded him of a kalimba (an African thumb piano). He incorporated the signature design of the Mini wings and zeroed in on what he began to see as the vehicle’s essence.

“With Mini, I was trying to translate the energy. There is a warmth that I translated to sunlight.” He created three new sounds related to the way the Mini “speaks.” He then translated his design concept into Morse code and subsequently into musical notes. New EV sounds must ensure they attract attention and transmit information and so this new sound was tested for safety and to ensure that it was not “masked,” a phenomenon in which a sound frequency is not concealed by other sounds and disappears. The final product became the sound the Mini Cooper SE makes when it’s started."

MichaelC likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

'Led by Renzo Vitale, creative director at the BMW Group, the company is working to create sounds that are unique and purpose-driven for electric vehicles. Vitale considers electric vehicles a “white acoustical canvas.”'

Another reason to admire the SE. I get why EVs like the Mach-E try to emulate the ICE sounds, but in a few years I bet that's going to seem like a really anachronistic choice.

I also wonder what movie and TV show car chases will be like when most cars won't make those "muscle car" noises. Is anyone working on an all-electric remake of The Italian Job?

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It turns out that some of the MINIs in the 2003 remake of 1969's The Italian Job were electric MINIs.

Texas22Step likes this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I still haven't seen the remake. The original was awesome.

6. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

I wish pedestrian warning sounds were like ring tones. There would be a default one, but you could choose others that match your style. I would personally go for the beeping sound from the Jetsons. Perhaps, like ring tones, you could load in your own sounds or songs. Walking across a parking lot would become a symphony of sounds.

MichaelC, Toi and GvilleGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Yes! Totally unique for the time. Loved both movies and developed my love for Minis as a whole

I like the sound our cars make. My family finds them all cool too. I dislike fake engine sounds on EVs. My friend and neighbor has a Tesla. His gallops at times :D

MichaelC likes this.