The A/C sounds

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Sep 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I have seen others mention the sound of the A/C coming from under the hood - is everyone else's this loud? I'm working on a video demonstrating all of the sounds our Mini SEs make. When the A/C is running, is it the actual heat pump system running like with a heat pump in a house? I'm not familiar with the mechanics of it. The sound really cranks up when you hit Max A/C button!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If "Max" didn't increase the noise a bunch of decibels, you'd be asking, "Really? This is Max?"

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

This is a very in depth guide I found from BMW relating to the i3 but I think most or all of the HVAC stuff is the same in the MINI:

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?attachments/mercedes-08_i01-heating-ac-systemsgb-pdf.13023/

It says the AC compressor is a scroll type which is different than the "swash plate" type that I believe is typically used for ICE cars.

Info on the "EKK" (the AC compressor assembly) starts on page 28 (page 32 of the pdf).

There's a system diagram on pages 45 and 47 showing the refrigerant flow in cooling mode and heating mode

I also found a HV components training manual but haven't had a chance to read through it yet:
    https://www.leschroniquesdegoliath.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Mercedes-06_I01-High-voltage-ComponentsGB.pdf

MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks, @Carsten Haase! I'm so curious about the heat pump so I was interested to read this info in that PDF:

"In the following efficiency comparison it is clear how high the energy saving is with the heat pump. In order to obtain about 5 kW of heater output, about 5.5 kW of electrical power must be used for the electric heating due to resistor losses. A system with a heat pump only requires about 2.5 kW of electrical energy in order to provide the same heater output of about 5 kW."

and

"A heat pump with the components installed in the vehicle enables the function of the heating and cooling modes, as well as mixed operation. With about 1 kilowatt of power about 3 kilowatt of cold air and about 2 kilowatt of heat can be acquired using this system."

However, the heat pump doesn't appear to replace the air-conditioner, with its compressor, refrigerant, and radiator.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  6. GvilleGuy

Thank you so much! This is fantastic.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Does it continue to modulate pitch the whole time, or just when Max AC is ramping up?

9. GvilleGuy

It only reaches that 'max' modulating sound when Max A/C is on, but it does ramp up and down in the lower range. So, when the cabin reaches set temp, it will wind down slowly and get really slow and low.