Tesla runs red light into semi-trailer truck

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Mar 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

At 3:20 AM, this Tesla ran a red light and impacted a semi-trailer:

Available about three months ago, I've enabled 'traffic aware' option that will not run a red light. It even comes to a complete stop at a green light unless overridden by the driver. Other reports are the NHTSA is sending an investigation team.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I know you have FSD. Does the traffic aware come with basic autopilot?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'll ask around but really don't know. Tesla could help by having a list or matrix of features. Here is one credible source:

My Autopilot doesn't see traffic lights or stop signs, so I would have to guess it's either an FSD feature or requires HW3.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  5. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

It's difficult at this stage to even know if the self driving features were on ahead of the accident. I am more than a little dubious about the use of these features. My feeling is that they can lull drivers into a false sense of security which allows their attention to lapse. Self driving that is good enough 99% of the time is not good enough. Combine that 1%, driver inattention and that unforeseen circumstance and you have the recipe for disaster.

If my next EV has auto pilot or whatever they're calling it I will be very cautious about using it if it can lead to attention wanderings. I would be happy with simply an adaptive cruise control which my current base model Leaf doesn't have. I have become a great fan of cruise control for reducing fatigue on longer trips.

Getting back to the original collision it looks like that age old mechanical problem: "Loose nut behind the wheel"

6. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

You are 100% correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.