Tesla Gen 2 Wall charger wiring

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by Rahul Mandale, Jan 30, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Rahul Mandale

Rahul Mandale New Member

Hello, I am planning to do DIY to install Gen2 Tesla charger. I got 6AWG wire ( 4 cores) and 50 AMP Circut Breaker. I have about connecting the wiring in the panel and to the charger.
    1) I understood that L1 ( Red) and L2(Black) will go to 50AMP breaker, I have confusion between Neutral adn Ground. I have only one Main panel. Does neutral and Ground connect to the same side bus bar? I see only one bus bar.
    2) At the wall charger box end, I understood that wires L1 (Red), L2 (Black), and Neutral go per shown in the charger manual. Where does the ground (4th wire goes)?
    Thanks, Rahul

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Red2022Y

Red2022Y New Member

Red and black (L1 and L2) go to the breaker for 120V each. Green goes to ground. There is no neutral connection to the Tesla charger. It is handled internally because of GFI issues. Otherwise, you would need a GFI breaker if all 4 wires were connected to your panel. Please read the instructions on the website and if this is over your head, you should have this work done by a licensed electrician. There are electrical wiring codes that must be met, or you risk your installation not being in compliance. This has multiple ramifications when you sell the house or God forbid, there is a fire with this wiring at fault, and it nullifies your insurance. This is not a place to cut corners and save a buck or two.