Tesla and other car accident rates

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Jun 6, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: Cars in the Most & Least Accidents | Rivervale Leasing

Which car manufacturers have been in the least number of accidents per 10,000 models?

Morris – 16
    Austin – 26
    Tesla – 28
    Ferrari – 39
    Aston Martin – 40
    Lotus – 55
    Bentley – 75
    Infiniti – 105
    Maserati – 106
    Abarth – 114

Manufacturers which did not have more than 10,000 models registered were not included in this study.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This study from Britain seems to suggest the cheaper mass cars had the most accidents, while the more expensive probably less driven cars, had the least. Makes sense to me...

DaleL likes this.
  4. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Yes, would be interesting to see this against miles driven.

DaleL and bwilson4web like this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Personally, I think the NHTSA and IIHS are doing car owners a disservice by only posting their new car safety reports and not historical accident data. In particular, Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) as a fatality per 100,000 mile rate.

Bob Wilson

6. Source: Cars in the Most & Least Accidents | Rivervale Leasing

Which car manufacturers have been in the least number of accidents per 10,000 models?

Morris – 16
    Austin – 26
    Tesla – 28
    Ferrari – 39
    Aston Martin – 40
    Lotus – 55
    Bentley – 75
    Infiniti – 105
    Maserati – 106
    Abarth – 114

I had a look at that article by Rivervale Leasing that Bob provided. It refers to information from Great Britain's Department of Transportation for accidents between 2015 and 2019. Given that the Morris and Austin marques are long gone, those cars in the accidents are likely being carefully driven by their classic car enthusiast owners!
    The worst manufacturer in the article is Vauxhall at 335 accidents per 10,000 models. So Tesla at 28 comes out very well.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.