Survey +200 mi EVs

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Aug 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Using the EPA web site, fueleconomy.gov, I selected EVs with at least 200 mi range:

upload_2021-8-27_8-26-39.png

Living in Alabama, a first drive of 200 miles will typically take 3+ hours ... a good first leg. Thereafter, hop between fast DC charger/Superchargers in 2-2.5 hour long segments. Note, multiple Tesla models meet the 200 mile limit so I selected the Tesla Standard Range Plus with the lowest kWh/100 mi.

At a Huntsville cost of $0.11/kWh, 100 miles would cost:
    • $2.64 - Tesla Model 3 Std Range Plus
    • $3.08 - Hyundai Kona
    • $3.19 - Kia Soul
    • $3.30 - Kia Niro
    Compared to the cost of gasoline, these are close to 100 MPG equivalent cars. The Tesla is (3.30 - 2.64) / 3.30 = 20% more efficient compared to the Kia Niro.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That's EPA, but as we also know (from the many, many real world tests) Hyundai is very conservative with their estimates, while Tesla is the opposite. Here are just a couple.
    https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html#chart

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/electric-cars-best-real-world-range

https://insideevs.com/news/407807/eletric-car-real-world-range-tested/

We know you are an extreme Tesla fanboi, that's obvious. But can't you ever let it rest, at least for a while? Doesn't help your credibility when we see the same misleading info over and over again.

davidtm likes this.
  4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Well you seem to try to find any dirt you can find against Tesla.

Is your son still driving his Model 3?

5. bwilson4web

I prefer mileage reports from agencies that have well documented, reproducible procedures. For example, the EU or UK(?) or other government testers. The EPA has fined manufacturers who misreport their data. Ad hoc reporters, not so much. But you posted, "you are an extreme Tesla fanboi" and sad to say, careful what you ask for.

At your insistence (and misrepresentation,) let's look at:
    upload_2021-8-27_11-46-55.png
    Here are the top four, Teslas with +200 miles range. The least efficient is 27 kWh/100 miles.

But a true Teslafil will point out there are four Tesla models with +200 mile range:
    upload_2021-8-27_11-58-5.png
    So Tesla offers, as you needed to know, a wide range of body styles to fit the prospective owner's requirements. In contrast, too many EV makers are 'one trick pony' makers.

When I post a compare and contrast with multiple manufacturers, it is to share the best of each. But if you choose to post an anti-Tesla screed, I will make sure you are justified ... careful what you ask for.

Bob Wilson

ps. I restrained myself from going to the EPA Test Car Database that has the engineering data that often 'nails a coffin.'

6. It's not anti-Tesla, just unbiased facts. I'm sure you know that each manufacturer sets their own EPA estimates based on their own testing. I just pointed out that Hyundai is more conservative, while Tesla is the opposite. Real world independent testing shows this over and over. Real life testing always trumps engineering hypothesis. So post away your "engineering data". Doesn't mean anything if the real world data doesn't support it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It's not dirt, just some counter facts to Bob's continuous fanboi postings, some of which (like this one) are very misleading to the true picture. Yes, my son still has his M3, which is why I am so familiar with that car.

9. bwilson4web

We'll have to agree to disagree. Your anti-Tesla bias knows no restraint. Perhaps you should consider putting me on your "ignore user" list.

Bob Wilson

10. bwilson4web

I prefer engineering testing with fines for false claims versus advertiser supported publications that suffer a penalty for a bad report. Advertisers often omit unpleasant facts and data as if they reported the 'warts', they don't get another press car.

Of all the articles, the Edmunds "Smack down" series was the best because it used different cars on the same route, swapping drivers, over three days. FYI, based on my Prius experience, I'm not a fan of Consumer Reports whose claims remain too subjective and some can not be reproduced.

Bob Wilson