Squeaking when resuming acceleration from brake hold

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by TeeVee, Mar 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TeeVee

TeeVee New Member

The car squeaks when I press the accelerator from a brake hold. Is this normal? I though the electronic control would coordinate the release of the e-brake and the engagement of the motor to avoid this. Will this usage result in wear on the e-brake?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TeeVee

TeeVee New Member

Looks like the coordination of brake release and power being applied is not perfect. Most of the time it is okay, but sometimes the power is applied a little too soon and it squeaks a bit. Probably not a big deal. Happens under 5 percent of the time when using brake hold.

4. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

From my experience, Brake Hold doesn't use the eBrake.

The eBrake engages the rear wheels "parking brake" which is a separate system than the hydraulic brakes. (you can hear it engage and disengage)

Brake Hold maintains brake pressure (as if you are physically holding the brake pedal down.) If you have a squeak, it might be that your pads and/or rotors have developed an issue where the pads are vibrating in the calipers.

To fix this you can:
    1. Apply brake lubricant to the back of the pads, OR

2. Sand surface of the pads lightly
    3. Have rotors turned and refinished (sanded)

Alternatively, you can have the dealer fix it under warranty as your brakes shouldn't be squeaking with little usage as we see.