Selling a 2018 EV to upgrade to another 2019 EV?

Discussion in 'General' started by kg350, Mar 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kg350

kg350 New Member

I'm currently driving a Prius Prime that I purchased last February. I currently have roughly 21k miles on the car. I love the car but I'm thinking of something with more EV. I do see there's good discounts on the Clarity and that made me want to make the jump.

What's making me feel hesitant is, I haven't done my taxes yet, so I didn't claim my 2018's Prime tax credit of $4,502 yet. I plan to do my taxes mid next week. So I was wondering, if I can sell my Prime and then still claim the tax credit when I do my taxes next week? Or once I receive the tax credit and I sell my car, do I have to give back the $4,502?

I know California CVRP, you have to give back a prorated amount.

Any info would be appreciated :)

My commute round trip is roughly 100 miles and I can charge my car at work for free making the Clarity a nice choice!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Federal Tax Credit does not follow the car. You buy a new one, you get that credit and can not pass it on.

FYI on Tuesday, I traded in my 2017, 16k mi, Prius Prime into Tesla for $18.3k.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

Attached Files:

4. kg350

kg350 New Member

Hey Bob,

Do you know If I can sell the car then claim the tax credit? or it doesnt matter when I sell since I am the first owner?

Was your Prime a plus model? Currently KBB is giving me 22k for my Prime Premium model.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

My understanding is there is no 'holding period' but I'd recommend reading the IRS regs that are online.

Ours was a 2017 Prius Prime Plus bought in December 2016 and put in service January 2017. I needed it to get from Huntsville to Nashville to pickup our Model 3.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019