Self-contained Off-grid EV charging stations?

Discussion in 'General' started by Berto, Apr 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Berto

Berto New Member

Hello,

Looking for a basic self-contained, off-grid EV Charging Station for a 75-ish y.o. summer cabin. Don't need batteries, etc. While the cabin has power, most of the outlets seem ungrounded. Current electrical service (aerial 3-wire) is less than the minimums to trickle charge a Model S. I just need a basic, self-contained system (carport configuration ideal) that can trickle charge the car during daylight hours.

My wife adores the cabin as is. I'd rather not dump money into changing service, breaker panel, dual-separate metering for the car, etc. If we retire there, it would be simpler to tear the place down and start over.

The cabin is 35 miles away from the nearest supercharger and plan on spending summers there. Nearest groceries are 8 miles away. There will be occasional local driving, but nothing that will regularly take me near the Supercharger.

Is there an affordable solution?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Need details:
    • What is panel fused or main circuit breaker amp rating?
    • Do you have or feel comfortable with installing a proper ground rod and conductor?
    • Do you have a trusted, electrician or company to do an survey and estimate?
    • Are you comfortable with adding 7-10 kW of solar panels?
    • What EV are you planning to use?
    Bob Wilson

4. Berto

Berto New Member

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

At this moment, I do not have panel specs. It is old screw in fuses and is below Tesla’s 40 amp uninterrupted minimum. I am in a remote location, 35 miles from the only EV charging station. The cabin may be torn down in a few years, it’s not worth changing both service to the cabin and panel. I need a self-contained solution, probably solar carport, to merely offset battery degradation from sitting for long periods of time. The vehicle is a 2012 Model S 85.

Thanks,
    Berto

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

It sounds as if you've ruled out changes or additional charger L1 or L2 load on the existing panel and service. If so, I'll have to pass on any grid based recommendations. I would have asked for a photo of the open panel to see if we can identify the two, service fuses but your call.

The next alternative is a fuel powered generator. Perhaps a liquid cooled, diesel powered generator would meet your requirements. Google and eBay can provide suggestions. It might also provide 24x7 emergency power.

A third alternative is a solar array capable of 12-16 A, 120 VAC output for an L1 EVSE. There are sources for solar solutions available.

Bob Wilson