Scale from 1 to 10?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Sthomasa, Dec 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

So the owners here have opinions. But the potential owners are looking here...as I did.
    We get caught up in the picky detail of ownership.
    But what would you tell a potential buyer???
    This is an amazing car!! I'd love it to be a convertible. Never put gas in...rarely do. Love the tech. Amazing on freeway.
    So for new potential owners. Rating 1 to 10.
    All in all, I love this car. Wish the hondalink was slicker and the top went down.
    But with tax credits, etc...value rating for someone thinking of a Clarity.
    What think 1 to 10?
    10 for me.

TotalClarity likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

9 the battery degrades too quickly. Shift Console is too large. Cruise control and adaptive cruise control do not control downhill speed. Infotainment system is slow to respond. Some modes have to be reset each time the car is started.

The car is great. 9 is a good score

Mark W likes this.
  4. Definitely not a 10. Maybe a 7.

There’s a thread in here somewhere about improvements for the car.

What’s wrong?
    No TPMS. Tire Pressure Monitoring System that displays individual tire pressure.
    No way to lock in EV mode. It easy enough with a light throttle foot, but why not make EV Mode, EV Mode?
    Aesthetically, the info screen looks like an afterthought, the center console wings are dreadful, the wheel skirts make it look heavy in the rump and the front end looks like a yard sale.
    Stereo is mediocre.
    Things that can’t be changed.
    Excessive regen with a full battery will start the ICE.
    Regen levels only remain set in Sport Mode.
    The built in one level of regen cannot be disabled.
    EV is default start up mode.

There are plenty of positives, but it isn’t anywhere close to perfect.

5. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

And the alternative at under 30k?

jdonalds, Mesa and Bender like this.
  6. Bender

Bender Active Member

Yeah, you referred to just "rate value". I'd put it at 10 or 15. Nothing was a similar value, at under $20k for the touring...

Yes, the vehicle is not perfect.

But I might have to lower as I digest brake challenges during the collision yesterday.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Price is just one factor. A “10” is perfect.
    A Toyota Corolla is $20K, so is a Hyundai Kona. Are they perfect?

We picked up a 3 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Ecodiesel engine for $30K two years ago. New it was over $52K. Is it perfect? No. It can tow more than 7000lbs, we can tow it behind our motorhome, it has good off road capabilities, no chains required in snowy conditions, luxurious ride, tons of room, 30mpg on the highway, 24mpg around town. I’d give it an 8 or 9.

The Clarity has some great features. It also has some annoying flaws. I’d still score it at 7.

John E Barbato likes this.
  9. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

For me, definitely the best option out there for a reasonably sized sedan. I agree that I hate the wings on the console. The TPMS is an easy fix with the aftermarket add on. I drive pretty aggressively, but leave the car in econ mode, so I very rarely start the engine with acceleration. I have learned to manage the regen starting the engine, so that rarely happens anymore. Don't necessarily love the fender skirts, but learned to live with the look. I'd buy another Clarity pretty much without a doubt if something happens to this one. It's not perfect, but it is the best car available right now to fit me. Score for me is 10 compared to what is available. I'd score it much less compared to what I think Honda could design as a replacement if they let some of us work with them on the changes (we pretty much all agree on what we would want to change - lose the console wings, add ev only mode, option to make regen stick without resetting, more data available to the driver, figure out another method to shunt regen energy or use only friction brakes when battery is fully charged instead of starting the engine, allow driver to reset the start-up mode to HV for long highway trips, give the ability to set charging current inside the car at any level up to the max the EVSE supplies or 32A, heated steering wheel option, HUD option, and yes even add a real TPMS system).

10. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

I’d like a Hatchback version.
    Proper led-chime sound alert based blind spot monitoring instead of camera.
    Wireless android auto/car-play

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

Mark W likes this.
  11. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I'd give it around a 7.5. Like the EV range and quiet highway ride. Don't like the mediocre stereo, lack of a hatchback option. Wish it had full smartphone integration where the phone operates like a key.

Bender likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. TomL

TomL Active Member

My review is same as Landshark. Maybe I'd bump the rating to 9.5 due to the limited options available in the market from 2018 until now.

John E Barbato and Bender like this.
  14. 8

It would easily be a 10 if they had fired some of the designers that are clueless, engineers that are stuck in 2010, and added true Honda Sensing.

With that said it's still my favorite car - except maybe my 1950 Ford Offenhauser.

15. Bender

Bender Active Member

The other thread reminded me they capped EV mode at 87mph. So you can only time travel in the forward direction at 1X speed with the vehicle, since it won't go 88mph on EV. I'm lowering my initial score to a 7 or 8.

(With caveat that that's comparing to vehicles of ~twice the $20k price I paid. ).

16. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

Based on my use case, i would rate the Clarity at 9. I would not hesitate recommending it to anyone. Now to keep my rating as a 9, I would like to see Honda continue to invest in it - 2018 - 2021 as version 1 and to give the Calriry a refresh for 2022 such as Honda does with all of their vehicles when they are mid cycle (not talking about a complete redesign). Refresh can include the Accords Infotainment, blind spot monitoring, new colors, enhanced front and rear end, HUD, more sound deadening, updated headlights, and other niceties I'm not thinking of. Oh, and keep Silver as the fastest model.

17. The Clarity Powertrain Development document states that maximum speed in EV mode is 100mph.

18. Bender

Bender Active Member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Fast Eddie B likes this.
  19. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I'll join the 8 club. Love the car, it mostly suits my needs. IMHO it still misses blind spot-rear traffic monitoring and better infotaintment with a bigger decent resolution screen and more and better organized info on an up-to-date software (especially navigation) for a 9. Hatchback, sunroof, fully adjustable regen with memory in all modes, memory of whatever setup the car was in before having a pit stop would give it a 10. Or vice versa.

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What car anywhere near the Clarity's price can do what the Clarity does? Would people give it a 10 if Honda fixed all the problems they complained about but raised the price to a firm $50K? Based on the exotic materials and expensive electrical components that go into the Clarity PHEV, I'd be surprised if Honda doesn't lose money on every one they sell. If it was as popular as the Accord and people would pay close to MSRP, Honda would have more incentive to improve it. I feel lucky I could buy one, despite waiting nearly a year and then paying MSRP for the first one to arrive.

Teslawannabe and Robert_Alabama like this.
  21. Bender

Bender Active Member

Isn't it ~$65k USD in Japan? (I think that includes an 8% tax though). Is the only difference the DC charge ability?

Edit:hmm in Japan also seems to have a 71mi range and an external power output connection, you can pull 3kw from it.

22. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

5 as a car. I’ve always found it to be remarkably average, top to bottom. But it gets an extra point cuz it’s efficient, which is nice.

So 6 it is.

23. bill_m

bill_m Member

Price performance: excellent! The software is a bit clumsy and should have allowed over the air upgrades.