Rusty Rotors

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rick2020Kona, Apr 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rick2020Kona

Rick2020Kona New Member

2020 Kona EV, 4,00Km. Purchased new January 2020 and immediately put winter tires on. Just swapped out winter for summer at my local garage. They were surprised at the state of my rotors: very rusty and the rotors were black, which they feel the rust is right through the rotor. I don’t use the brake much just regen. most of the time. That was probably a mistake.
    Has anyone else had experience with this issue IMG_0341.JPG the rotor looks shiny but it is actually black.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The only surefire way to not use Regen is to put the car in neutral. When braking it will use Regen most of the time except for the very last bit before stopping or if you hit a pothole while braking...at least that is my experience.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

4. I don't know about you but my brake rotors seem to have a electrophoretic coating on them. That may explain your discoloration. I see a little surface rust in your picture and nothing really abnormal. There is no possible way your rotors are rusted all the way through after 4000 km, your local garage either has never seen an e coated rotor or they are telling you porky pies.

5. If you use winter tires than I don't see anything wrong. Your local garage should have lightly grease the spigot diameter which locates the wheel and kept their odd opinions to themselves. There's no need to worry about it.
    These are mine after 13,000 km but we don't have the same environmental conditions here.
    IMG_0042.jpeg

6. Rick2020Kona

Rick2020Kona New Member

Thanks, yours look new, very nice and clean. Mine look shiny in the picture but they are actually Black. I will stop by the Hyundai store and see what they say.

KiwiME likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. These are mine after I took the winter tires off my Kona the other day. Its 4 months old with 8000 kms, it's been through a cold salty winter, honestly they look just as rusty as yours which is normal.
    .[​IMG]

KiwiME and electriceddy like this.
  9. Rick2020Kona

Rick2020Kona New Member

Ok Thanks for that information, I appreciate it. Mine had a salty winter under their belt also and I hardly ever used the brake pedal.
    So from now on I will reduce the regen. level and use the brake regularly.

10. Keeping in mind that the very-clever brake system uses regen anyway all the way down to a crawl. I normally only use the brake pedal to slow down and you can see I still have signs of the original machining marks.
    Another minor detail may crop up where the rust wears the pads at the edges more than the middle, and so the rust at the disk edges tends to remain. So use the brake pedal only, and fairly aggressively once in a while.

KonaTom likes this.