Replacing underbody panels

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bwilson4web, Nov 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

There are three panels: (1) under front fender cover; (2) just behind front, and; (3) rear bumper and drive area. The battery is behind the middle and before the rear. Of the three panels, the middle one was in saddest state:
    [​IMG]

The original fragments on the left was some sort of plastic backed felt. The replacement part on the right is a full injection molded part. The forward part of this middle panel bolts onto the rear of the front shield.

The washer of one bolt bent up so it almost became a 'wing headed bolt.' I lost a lot of time, at least an hour, trying to get it unbolted. Eventually I left it and just tie wrapped the left front and right front bolt hols as the auto shop was going to close soon.

I have three, leftover 10 mm bolt-washers and will use two tomorrow when I replace the forward underbody shield. The replacement part lost two former wing corners out toward on the rear by the battery. When fixing a 2019 Model 3 with parts in 2023, 'some creative assembly is required.'

There is always a tradeoff between a specific fit part and two pieces that assemble to handle both Model 3 and Model Y. In my case, I will use exceptionally heavy duty, duct tape along the bolted joint between the front and middle panels to minimize drag and splash water incursion. I am also OK with replacing some 10 mm bolts with plastic tie-wraps. They are strong, light weight, and easily replaced without a socket wrench.

On my 'to do' list, I have 3d party, lighter, stronger, drip-water proof, front links to replace the OEM ones. I may do them before repairing the front, underbody shield. I had already massaged the grease fitting on the passenger side link to eliminate the body squeak but on the first freezing morning I may have heard the driver side.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Be sure to use the black ones. They are UV resistant and constructed tougher to withstand the elements.
    I used them on a rock guard mesh modification some time ago, and they are holding out quite well despite exposure to snow and freezing conditions at times:)
    [​IMG]

bwilson4web likes this.