Rent or buy

Discussion in 'General' started by Txev84, Mar 24, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Txev84

Txev84 New Member

Would you rather rent a Level 2 charger if it came with free install or buy a Level 2 charger?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would rather buy one. Compared to the car they are not that expensive and if you get one with a plug its portable and can be moved if you do. Also a number of newer cars like the Mustang Mach -E come with a level 2 EVSE. If its a long term usage it is usually cheaper in the to purchase. In addition the costs of Level 2 chargers have been dropping. I purchased a UL listed GE unit for $300 from home depot over 8 years ago and its still going strong. Unless you have an older house with a small main panel It not that difficult to install a NEMA 14-50 plug. Even at $10 per month it would still have been cheaper to purchase the Level 2 EVSE. Of course everyone's situation is different.

4. Txev84

Txev84 New Member

All good points. I am thinking i would maybe want to rent for the following reasons. I move fairly often, ability to get new upgrades to better/newer units as technology changes, a lot of eletric things i own break it seems and id rather not have to buy another unit if something breaks during ownership, and cost of install at my house would be more expensive because of needing upgrade on panel.

A

5. If your moving often and you rent an EVSE then whose property does the wiring and plug left behind become. New owner or the renting agency. If you own the property is the renting agency going to want to pay for an install every time you move. They have to recover their costs. That could get expensive. If you rent then the landlord would have to give permission.

As far as I have seen there really haven't been significant up grades to EVSE's since I bought mine. I don't expect to be upgrading mine any time soon.

6. Do you rent your household appliances? EVSE costs about the same as a good coffee maker. My electric things don't break very often.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

If it were public, rent. Private, buy.

Bob Wilson

9. Txev84

Txev84 New Member

Yea good points

I guess I was thinking if I could pay $20/month versus spending 1300 for unit and install, I’d do that

QUOTE="R P, post: 126261, member: 14023"]Do you rent your household appliances? EVSE costs about the same as a good coffee maker. My electric things don't break very often.[/QUOTE]

10. They only cost about $300. Just need to install a 1450R socket, about $50 if DIY and close to your panel.

11. Txev84

Txev84 New Member

I am not a DIY guy, makes sense. Quotes i got was 550 by electrican and Level 2 was 699.

What kind of Level 2 are you all using?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. You can find 32 amp EVSE on Amazon starting at $295 and 16 amps for $160. I have provided links below. Either of these will get you at least 180 miles over night (10 hrs). That is going to easily cover the majority of peoples average driving needs. In addition most level one chargers can be run on 220 volt and will get you 130 miles over night.

https://smile.amazon.com/EV-Portable-Electric-Charging-Connector/dp/B08R6JFCJ8/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=EVSE+32+amp&qid=1616725723&sr=8-5

https://smile.amazon.com/Southking-Portable-Electric-Charging-NEMA5-150/dp/B08D8XWJ1H/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=EVSE+16+amp&qid=1616725916&sr=8-25

bwilson4web and R P like this.
  14. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Hey Tx - are you in the States? You can get back 30% of the EVSE and installation costs on next year's taxes (up to a max of $1,000). IRS form 8911 was renewed for 2021. My level 2 install was $1,400 total for EVSE and electrician, and I'll get back $420 next year at tax time.