Recommend non-oem 12V battery

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, Feb 17, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Has anyone bought a 12V battery replacement from Walmart, autozone, etc that fits for a fair price?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I haven’t replaced the 12V in the Clarity.

How long do you intend to keep the car? Currently, 51R batteries appear to be selling for $150-200 and they all seem to carry a 2-3 year warranty. The OEM battery carries a full replacement warranty for 3 years and is then pro-rated to 7 years. The Honda battery would at least hold some value beyond the 3 year mark. Something to consider given the reports of premature failures for a battery that doesn’t even start an engine.

4. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

Costco has a 51R with 48 month replacement and a 100 month pro rata warrantee.

Costco item number 314539
    Price $139.99

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Attached Files:

gedwin likes this.
  5. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

IMG_8295.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.
  6. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I had a weird deal where my charger failed (covered under warranty) but symptoms were so weird I decided to replace my 12v battery as a first step. Long story short, maybe didn't even need a battery-- it was my charger. Cost was over 4K to replace (covered under warranty), but when I thought I needed a 12v. Went to a Bi-Mart store here in Oregon where their prices are unusually good for car batteries. I asked the attendant for help and they strongly told me they had nothing for Honda Clarity. I ended up buying a real Honda battery from my dealer for about $200.

Anyway, looking backward, is there such a thing as a normal 12v car battery that doesn't work with Clarity? I can't really imagine any standard car battery that doesn't work. It seems far more likely "Honda Clarity" isn't listed in their reference book.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone. I ended up with Walmart. Needed one tonight and no Costco near where I was. I really appreciate the help!