Rebooting an ABB

Discussion in 'General' started by hobbit, Aug 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

The other night I popped into a car dealership that has a 50 kW CCS charger around back, it's
    listed in Plugshare and on an inquiry earlier in the day I was assured that they don't block off
    the lot at night. So nobody around, I pull up to the thing. It has a card reader on the front but
    it's not active, it's free charging. So I hooked up and hit "start", waited a bit watching zero current
    on my OBD2 app ... then realized the charger was saying there was "insufficient power" to charge.

???

It certainly had power, or the display wouldn't even be on. The "?" button brought up a help screen
    about how it might be on a shared circuit with some other charger in use, or a couple of other
    excuses, none of which would apply here in the single installation. Basically it was confused.
    It's a 50 kW ABB CCS/CHAdeMO unit, I didn't get a model... Nissan dealership, though, so their
    having one would make sense.

Seeing the honkin' disconnect box on the wall right behind it, I pulled the handle and powered the
    whole thing off. *Now* it definitely had "insufficient power"... fired it back up, and am somewhat
    kicking myself now for not capturing the boot screen, which definitely indicated a Linux heart.
    But now it could start a charge, even though it was feeding the Kona only around 38 kW and
    wouldn't go any higher. I was in ideal high-power conditions, 30-something % SOC and pack
    temp around 80F.

A brief gander inside the disconnect showed a 3-phase fused setup, which has clearly been out
    in the weather for a while, so maybe something has loosened up in there and it really *is* delivering
    less power than it should. Maybe a phase is out but the charger is still able to limp along on 2?
    I didn't try to dianose further, and with the box rated for a 480 or 600 volt feed I was a little loath
    to take a low-end voltmeter to it or start poking around for heat. I didn't really need much charge
    anyway, just a little push-up so I wouldn't arrive back home at low SOC, so I ran it long enough to
    observe that the pack in the "new replacement" Kona is *beautifully* balanced, highest/lowest
    cells locked at pretty much the same number while taking in 108 amps, and the highest/lowest
    cell numbers jumping around in a reassuringly random way. Took on about 10 kWh and got on
    the road again.

_H*

VeeDub'r likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Maybe it looked similar to this one (in reference to boot screen)
    [​IMG] Someone forgot to select install now, cancel or "ignore" on the menu behind:oops:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    mho likes this.
  4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Nope, had plug storage on the front under the screen, and the boot messages came up in
    VTY console mode like you see from "dmesg". It DHCPed itself onto some network, and then
    soon after went into normal graphical mode.

Maybe next time I go past there I'll collect more info.. it seems that several Nissan shops
    in the area [eastern MA, US] got these installed, probably in the heyday of the Leaf. This
    place also has like 3 level-2s scattered around.

_H*

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Excellent! I wish all dealers had that attitude. I went to BMW on Saturday and their two headed, ChargePoint, L2, was ICEd by dealer cars.

Bob Wilson

6. Mark Richards

Mark Richards Member

A lose connection wouldn't deliver less power, it would overheat, and potentially cause a fire if bad enough. And I'm sure if an entire phase was out it wouldn't work. Either your car was only asking for 38, or the charger is software limited to 38 (probably the car)

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.