Range testing article

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Nov 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Recently, I read: https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev-range-test-results/

A 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3 owner, I had hoped to see my ride, the most efficient EV, in the article but it was not there. So I decided to do my own starting with the EPA metrics:
    upload_2021-11-7_1-51-20.png
    What surprised me what the increase in range and efficiency. So I took a deeper look at the EPA metrics:
    upload_2021-11-7_1-52-20.png
    Several things stand out:
    • 2020 has the lowest high speed coefficient of drag
    • 2021 has the lowest rated power, significantly lower
    • 2020 has the best calculated efficiency, MPG
    This suggests my 2019 might be tuned for more efficiency. Regardless, it looks like the 2021 might need a new, 3d party review.

This posts is to suggest the EPA metrics might be a source for future InSideEVs articles. I'm not casting shade on the original article. Rather, I was curious about my car since it was not included. Others are welcome to check their vehicles.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. EPA are just manufacturer derived estimates and differ greatly from real world tests. Teslas are known to be optimistic (which is why you keep using them) while many others are much more conservative. And the one you referenced is based on a constant 70 mph which is not realistic either. Here is a better example, and there are many others.
    https://insideevs.com/news/407807/eletric-car-real-world-range-tested/
    And from Edmunds which clearly shows how optimistic Tesla EPA estimates are.
    https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html#chart

4. bwilson4web

My EPA testing background and tuning comes from my Prius days starting in 2005. That ‘hands on’ experience means I know what works and what doesn’t. These new EV advocate ad hoc claims are not useful to me when I need to do serious tuning and driving cross country.

So I appreciate their efforts but prefer the engineering approach of the EPA. Even if others don’t.

Bob Wilson

5. Toyota has always been more accurate with their EPA estimates, compared to some of the other ICE cars, esp the Germans. Hyundai has not been great in the past either, which is why maybe they are being extra conservative these days.

6. bwilson4web

The engineering term is “sandbagging” reporting more conservative numbers.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. And what do you call overly optimistic estimates? In the case of inflated EPA estimates, I just call it marketing, bordering on cheating. In business reporting, some sandbagging was good/wise, the opposite could be labelled as fraud.

9. bwilson4web

The EPA can and has fined manufacturers for false numbers in the past. My understanding is there are two protocols that EVs may use and Tesla chooses the one with better metrics. The others can choose the other.

My experience is on a standard day, at a constant 63 mph, the car returns the EPA numbers. That was the case with our past Prius.

Bob Wilson