Question about Touring model front-seat covers-- advice desired

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dan Albrich, Jul 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I read some old threads but didn't find what I was looking for. I wanted a seat cover for 2018 Clarity Touring. Found one on Amazon for $180 called "Coverado" universal with a moniker on top that says Amazon Confirmed Fit for 2018 Clarity-- perhaps they mean the base package but *not* Touring model.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PHL582X?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I tried to install the front driver cover. The covers themselves look and feel nice but they assume there is a "pass-through" where the back and base of the front-seat join. The you-tube video on install shows the guy push the elastic cord through the base of the seat. Clarity (at least Clarity Touring) has no way that I can see to push anything through to the back seat through the join. The back of the driver seat for example, has covered fabric with no gap. Further, seat covers that assume you can pass laterally through the underside of the seat are no go, given the Touring electric seat is on rails to move front and back electrically.

The one person I saw on these forums used the cover king seat cover. Anyway, not even sure these work on Touring which seems to have very restricted access to the under- the seat fronts.

Advice welcome. If you have seat covers on Touring specifically, what I'm looking for is just snug fit that doesn't move around too much, and I want to cover for the bottom-side, and side of the bottom seat (not just the surface). The reason I want the sides is I apparently rub on them as I get in each time, and am starting to wear the original leather there. The ones that just go flat on top of the seats don't provide any side-cover.

Anyway if you have seat covers that have a good fit on Touring, I'd love to know about it.

Advice welcome. In terms of quality, the function is all I care. I'm willing to pay for quality if I can get the function. I also don't care if the answer is a cheap seat cover provided it covers the seat bottom and seat bottom-sides.

(BTW- I don't know for sure if Base model is different, but my memory is Touring has electric seats in the front, and that may be a lot different for this purpose).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Seahorses

Seahorses New Member

Checking in if you have an update on your search, or your experience?

4. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

No one responded. I was able to cover the seat backs with the slip on covers. I placed the seat 'bottoms' without attachment, but they move around so I gave up on those. The headrest doesn't need a cover period (IMO). Since I'm unwilling to do even cosmetic damage to the original equipment, I'm not sure there's an answer.

Those covers with straps for the seat bottom are problematic in how you attach. Side to side is no-go given the electric moving seat on rails. Front to back is possible if you're willing to cut holes in the fabric, which I am not. You could do something goofy like glue velcro to the original seat, and line that up with similar velcro on the seat-bottom cover, but then you are insuring some damage to the original seat, which is exactly what I want to avoid.

BTW: I do assume this issue may be different between touring and base. The touring has fabric blocking a front-to-back strap option unless you puncture.

5. Seahorses

Seahorses New Member

6. Seahorses

Seahorses New Member

To bring more clarity,this would work for back, but looking for the front.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The fabric that covers the gap between seat bottom and seat back, on our 2019 Touring, is just a flap that is attached under the seat cushion with an elastic strap and a hook. It is possible to pass a strap through the gap.

Would detaching the hook and letting the flap hang allow you to install the seat cover properly?

9. I have a lumbar cushion with elastic straps that go between the top and bottom, and I don't recall any difficulty getting the elastic through. I'm confused by these posts. Maybe add some pictures of what you are trying to do?