Portable electric chargers

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by HChannel, Apr 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. HChannel

HChannel New Member

Just bought a portable electric charger yesterday (link here). Does anyone have experience with these?

If this does work, it'll solve my no-charging-at-work dilemma as I can hopefully charge while I'm at the office, and commute home on EV. can't wait to calculate the gas savings on that!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of it, but I kinda like it. It charges at 12A at 120V and 16A at 240V. Most charge at 16A at 120V, which is asking for tripping a breaker or overheating a 15A 120V outlet by accident. The 12A is slower, but for me would be better as a travel charger.

4. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

BougeRV Level 2 EV Charger Cable (240V, 16A, 25FT) Portable EVSE Electric Vehicle Charging Station Compatible with Level 1 for Chevy Volt, BMW, Nissan Leaf, Fiat, Ford Fusion https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BM1XT4Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OrLRCb2EH3QDT

This is a different brand, but basically what I have. Mine is ZenCar.

The factory charger only draws about 10 amps if I recall correctly.

Factory from 0 to full, 12.5 hours.
    ZenCar from 0 to full, 8.5 hours on 120 volt.
    ZenCar from 0 to full, 4 hours on 240 volt.

YMMV.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

Mowcowbell likes this.
  5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Another Zencar here... paid $199.99 for mine, came with the 120v adapter, a wall mount, and a zippered nylon carry case. I see the same charge times as David in TN.

I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage, so I use a NEMA 14-50p to NEMA 6-20R adapter to connect the ZenCar to my Clarity.

6. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Excuse my ignorance, but would this replace the need for a $450+ level 2 charger if I only ask an electrician to install a 220V line on my garage?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Sort of. The $450+ level 2 charger is probably 32A, but @Mowcowbell posted a 32A charger in the thread in the link below that is approx $260.

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/rv-50a-outlet-to-for-visiting-tesla.5328/

You will also have to make sure the 240V circuit in the garage doesn't overload panel or cause any other issues. The chargers in this thread are 16A 240V and will probably be a cheaper circuit to install for the electrician. The 32A EVSE will require at least a 40A circuit, whereas the 16A EVSE would work on a 20A circuit.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Some on this forum have noted that electricians charge more for electrical work related to electrified cars. The consensus for avoiding electrified-car project-cost inflation is to tell your electrician that you're planning on setting up an electric welder.

AlanSqB and Mowcowbell like this.
  10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Just be sure NOT to mention it’s for an electric car or the quotes more than likely will be higher.
    Also you can save some more money by running the wire yourself and buying the breaker and box/receptacle. Then you only have to pay a licensed electrician their one hour service charge to come hook it up at the breaker box and receptacle. That way you save money but still get a receipt from a licensed electrician so your insurance company can’t complain and you can sleep at night. Worked for me and yes, I admit my middle name is Cheap.

coutinpe, Elm and 4sallypat like this.
  11. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I consulted with an electrician, who wanted $300 to run a 20-amp 240-volt line 50 feet, and install the goodies.

I did it 100% myself, for <$100 for all parts. I even ran it a separate 120-volt line, too. That way I have two dedicated circuits.

He looked it over and told me "Good Job!" If I ever need certification, he'll provide. I sleep well, and am cheaper! :)

coutinpe and Elm like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.