On Board Charger

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul Rummler, Apr 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul Rummler

Paul Rummler New Member

I'm considering a Kona but my head is spinning over the charger. With the 7.2KW on board can I make a cable with the J1772 on one end a 14-50 on the other and just plug it into the wall or do I need a additional charger. In my reading it sounds like everyone is using a charger to plug into a charger.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

As long as your Wall Outlet is 14-50 240v plug in, and is capable of 50 AMPS, you have the pre-req. However, you still need a CHARGING STATION to PLUG into THAT wall plug to charge the car. (or hard-wire) e.g., something like THIS is what I did >> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQ124XN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are many many Charging Station options with all kinds of bells & whistles & much pricier. Search AMAZON.

You CAN charge the car with the 120v cable that comes with the vehicle ... but it takes forever (like 2 days). So a 14-50 / 240v electrical line & Charging station is the best way to do that. (ps, you can do a full charge at 240v in like 6 hours from 10% charge to 100% .. or pretty close to that .. )

4. So I think some of the confusion here is the language folks commonly yet incorrectly use, i.e. referring to a 1772 plug and wall box( EVSE -Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) that plugs into your house electrical supply as a "charger". You correctly identified that your car has the only charger in this equation. The EVSE by code is nonetheless required as a safety interface between your house's electrical system and your car's on board charger. Its purpose is to prevent your electrocution. Its basically just a circuit board and electrical relays that allow the safe flow of power to your car if certain parameters are met.

5. To add to that, once those safety parameters are met, the EVSE also advertises to the EV the maximum allowable current draw on a continuous basis using a simple protocol defined within that SAE J1772 standard. Check out https://www.openevse.com/

6. Paul Rummler

Paul Rummler New Member

Thank you, if they had called the wall unit a regulator or anything but a charger it would have been a lot easier on this seniors mind. I have a 30amp circuit run to the garage but it uses only 10 gauge wire so I will make a new run with 6 and a 40 or 50 amp breaker. Thanks again

KiwiME likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ah, I miss living where I can just do any wiring I like. Here, people get all upset if I suggest doing my own wiring because it technically has to be signed off by a registered electrician and you can be sure they'll find fault with some tiny detail.

9. It really depends on how much you drive. I am (apart from currently) fine with the 120V EVSE from Hyundai that came with the car. Although I built a little adapter to be able to plug that one into the 240V dryer outlet (cost was about $20). My EVSE is capable of dealing with 240V. Not sure if the newer ones do as well. However that allows me to charge with 2.8 kW instead of 1.4 kW which gives me a little more wiggle room if I need it.

10. You can make or buy an adapter and plug the charging cord (actually an EVSE) that came with your car into the 240v outlet. I have done that and it works fine. See item #2 and the links in this post:
    Charging is still limited to 12 amps or 2.8 kW, so this will add roughly 10 miles of range per hour of charging. (To figure your miles per kWh of charging, deduct 10% for charging losses from the figure shown on your trip odometer.)