Nissan Leaf mini roadtrip

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by Sorie4e, Sep 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sorie4e

Sorie4e New Member

I will start this post by saying that you absolutely do not buy a Leaf to roadtrip, but since owning my Leaf for a year, I have had the lingering question in my mind of whether I could take “Lily Leaf” from Winston-Salem, NC to Asheville, NC where my mother-in-law lives.

I have heard rumors of gloom and doom about fast chargers being in poor working order, difficult to find, and to be soon non-existent for CHAdeMO. So I researched and planned out my trip with redundancy built in, but you know what, it was really pretty easy.

In theory a trip of 167 miles should be easily reached in a 62kWh Leaf. But highway driving is not where a Leaf shines, and as anyone that has driven Interstate 40 to Asheville can attest, one must account for the climb up Black Mountain.

I decided to play it safe and stop for a charge in Hickory, NC.

I started my trip at 100% charge from my garage. It was a beautiful day. 68 degrees, sunny, no wind. It is all highway, so I set the cruise control at 3 over the speed limit. The speed limit is mostly 65. I ran the vent, but not the air conditioning.

I arrived at the Hickory Nissan dealership with 54% of battery. I used the restroom, got a free cup of coffee, and talked on the telephone with my daughter. By the time I had completed these tasks, the car was charged to 90%, so I continued on my journey. I was there about 35 minutes.

Black Mountain did sap 20 miles of the range. I arrived in Asheville with 45% of battery.

I decided to charge back up to 90% before going to my mother-in-laws, so I would be ready to roll the next morning. I used a Shell Recharge station on the campus of AB Tech. Charged with no problem. What would have been wonderful would have been a level 2 at my mother-in-laws apartment complex, but alas.

The return trip was very similar, except I regenerated 6 miles coming down Black Mountain.
    I stopped at the same Nissan Dealer, topping up to 80%, just to be careful, as it was windy and rainy. I arrived home with 45% battery.

Take aways:
    You have to plan- and still use your own knowledge and a little common sense.
    You have to not be in a hurry- charging takes time.
    You have to love your Leaf for who she is. She is not a road-tripper, but she has a can-do-attitude and she WILL get you there.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
    marshall likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

It was nice of the Nissan dealer to let you charge at their dealership.

Sorie4e likes this.
  4. Sorie4e

Sorie4e New Member

Yes. Most Nissan dealers in NC (if they have a fast charger) will let you charge for free. The one in Winston-Salem provides free charging to any EV on first come, first served basis. They also have free level two charging.