NGB takes Gamma for a spin...

Discussion in 'Aptera' started by Kerbe, Oct 20, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Transport Evolved headliner, Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield, takes the Gamma prototype out for a spin as part of Aptera's recent program of allowing automotive and EV journalists free access to the vehicle.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wow! That's a great video. Thanks again @Kerbe for keeping us up-to-date on the Aptera's progress.

It's nice to see how giant dies can create big parts of the body, but it's so much more interesting to see the first test drive by someone who understands the car. Ms. Gordon-Bloomfield was so well-prepared to anticipate and answer the questions people have about this unconventional EV.

Aptera's "you'll get used to it" response to the placement of the mirrors didn't satisfy me, but I guess Aptera would have put them where drivers expect if they could have done that. The large size of the rear-quarter blind-spot was one of my concerns and I'll be interested to see if that can be improved as the car evolves towards production (assuming the expensive giant dies haven't pre-determined the blind-spot so it can't be improved).

Hopefully, YouTube's voice-to-text translator will learn the name of this car soon.
    upload_2023-10-20_23-20-3.png

Kerbe likes this.
  4. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

"App Terror"! :D

Remember, though, that the Gamma prototype is a hand-built fiberglass mock-up of the vehicle's design - it does not, for example, have the internal aluminum chassis upon which the (eventual) carbon fiber and fiberglass body will rest. But I'm sure the powers-that-be will invite NGB to be one of the first to drive a production-intent vehicle when one becomes available!

Aptera's plan is still to do away with side mirrors entirely and use cameras instead: They're just waiting for US regulations to match those of the rest of the world. And Aptera may very well NOT have any rear window at all - that's why the rear-view "mirror" is actually a video screen. The rear-view camera is mounted at roof-level on the top of the rear hatch while the camera for reversing is mounted on the rear of the vehicle, below the license plate.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In this video, NGB voiced how the focal-distance difference between a mirror and a rear-view camera was disorienting. I guess it's something a driver just has to get used to. If the Aptera's high-mounted, rear-view camera is going to replace the rear window, I hope it includes a wiper, which may be especially necessary when it snows. Will there be a big video screen behind the seats so old-school drivers like me can turn around and pretend they're looking out the rear window?

I hope the Aptera's pedestrian warning sound doesn't drown out the sounds from the 3 motors, which NGB enjoyed so much.