New observation - ROPES

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ClarityMTL, Sep 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ClarityMTL

ClarityMTL New Member

I'm not sure if we decided to use the term ROPES or not. This is in regard to the engine coming on when the battery is full. In the past, when this has occurred the engine usually turns itself off after about 5 minutes (when it reaches a specific temperature), but today was different. I wasn't going very far and the engine stayed on for the entire 10 minute commute. Distance was about 4Km and the numbers on the GOM (both HV and EV) went down by about 4Km. Especially annoying in this mode is when the engine continues to run at a red light, which I'm pretty sure is entirely unlike any other hybrid.

Here's my new observation: When I arrived at my destination, I shifted into REVERSE to back into a parking spot. At the exact moment I pushed the button, the engine turned off and I was back in EV. Now, this may be a coincidence and I'm wondering if anyone else can confirm a similar experience? The next time it happens, I will definitely pull over and try shifting into reverse sooner to see if I can force the engine off. I will post my results.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

The only time the car surprised me by having the ICE running while at a stop light was because the heater was in use. As soon as I turned the heater off the ICE quit.

4. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

These ice flukes happen occasionally for various reasons. Sometimes it is necessary to get rid of electricity the battery cant store. Other times the ice runs because of a system check. So this should not happen unless there is a reason. Also if you press the accellerator padt the detent the may stay on to warm up the engine- punishing you for aggressive driving.

5. This is something that GM did right with the Volt. The car always told you why the ICE was running, be it due to low ambient temperature or engine maintenance or fuel maintenance.
    In the case of the first, mine offered a setting of "cold" or "very cold", corresponding to 35 F and 15 F for trigger temperatures. For the last two, the car warned you 24 hours in advance to give you the option of doing the engine cycle immediately or deferring it for a day.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

The only time my ICE has ignited on its own was a day with temps over 100 (and heat index pushing 112) with about a 30% SOC: With the AC set on "Auto" whenever the system shifted into max-cool, the ICE came on. Once the car cooled, though, the ICE went dormant.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I warned the forum that making up acronyms was a bad idea unless there would be a sticky topic that listed all the made-up acronyms.
    ROPES: Regen Overcharge Protection Engine Start

neal adkins likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

But the Volt's ICE operation is so much simpler than the Clarity PHEV's. The Volt never blends ICE and motor operation the way the Clarity PHEV does. But your're correct about the need for more info, I've often campaigned for an (extra-cost, if necessary) all-info screen for the Clarity.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    coutinpe likes this.
  10. TYVM!

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I always thought it meant:

Random Operation of PHEV Engine Sucks.

MPower likes this.
  13. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

A thought has occurred, so I have a question for those that have actually experienced this issue (I have not). Do you store your car in a garage? And if so, what was the temperature difference between the garage and outside when this occurred?

My thinking is that since batteries can store different amounts of energy at different temperatures, perhaps a quick change in battery temperature could take it from reading as "full charge" to "overcharge" and then prompt the ICE to start to mitigate that in some way (circulating coolant?).

14. ClarityMTL

ClarityMTL New Member

An Interesting idea. The last few times it happened I was parked outside, so I don't think that was a factor.

15. 228ra

228ra Member

For me, it’s happening when (1) I fully charge on Level 1 (120V) and (2) I am coasting downhill and the car is in regen mode. This never happens to me when I charge using Level 2 at work. Is it possible that the Honda supplied charger is overcharging the battery?

16. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I have started to try to pay attenti n when I start out after a full battery. I creep out onto the hill and coast down without using the accelerator (like a super hypermiler. Stop at the bottom of the first hill with as little breaking as possible. Then out onto the slightly bigger street as the only car in the history of the road not exceeding the speed limit. If Ican make it to the bottom of this hill without the ICE, I am good for EV for the rest of the trip.

Once the weather gets cool, I will turn on the heater right away until I get to the bottom of the hill (in my 2012 Prius Plugin I would have frozen before I turned on the heater since it ran only off the ICE). This is always when I am making local trips.

When I am going further than I can do in one charge, I don't care whether the ICE turns on or not since I have to use it now or later.

228ra likes this.