New Kona looking for level 2 charger recommendations

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mruhland, Aug 21, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

Right now I have only the level 1 charger at home. The car actually arrived 4 months earlier than anticipated from COVID delays.

For a full day trip for work it took 23 hours to charge back up from the morning, so wont work for everyday.

I have 100 service to my home and electrician said I need new sub panel and 30 amp should work for not overloading my system.

I am looking at the Mustart portable with variable amps and wondering if this is a good product

https://www.amazon.ca/MUSTART-TRAVELMASTER-Intelligent-Identification-Auto-Adjusts/dp/B085R9R343/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=mustart+level+2&qid=1597885014&sr=8-3

IMG_8893.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yes Muststart is a good brand and works well. Also Zencar is another good brand that has the same features and works well.

A third option is to run the charger that came with the car on 240 volts which will double the charging speed and cut your 23 hours to just under 12. It still will only operate at 12 amps but 240 volt doubles the KW available

4. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

Do you need to buy an adapter?

electriceddy likes this.
  5. It sounds like you need close to the 32 amp max charge rate so you'd be better off having a proper wall unit installed.

6. Yes you would either need to buy or make and adapter. The adapter type would depend on what type of 240 volt connection you currently have available.

Here is a website where you will find information on adapters. You will find information under he section called EVdoublers https://evdoctor4earth1.weebly.com/

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I have just received the EVSE you mention in your post, but have not had the opportunity to use it yet. But it seems well made, if you want something portable with various voltage options, it is what I would go with. If you want something hardwired, I personally think Clipper Creek are the best and sturdiest charging stations. Just remember, hard wired may qualify for rebates while the portable ones do not, at least in California.

9. This is a new model unit by Mustart, (not like the others where you can adjust the amperage manually) and requires to purchase a compatible adapting cord/plug specific to the EVSE which will then charge at the maximum rate. (see interlocking pictures at bottom of screen), also note the comments on non CSA compliance or any other approved Canadian accreditation symbol (if you are in Canada). There may be instances where you want less than the maximum charge due to available feeder capacity, or more than "maximum" charge in the case of a 120 volt TT-30 receptacle at a campground (example : 120V*30A =3600W*.8= 2880 W - set for 24 A). I personally would not recommend this unit, and would purchase another as suggested above where you can adjust the amperage MANUALLY (using the shake method or RFID card) also wire in an adapter plug (or second adapter) to convert to different situations available.
    Also note Fastnf post about 240 V on the stock EVSE comes with the car, will deliver 2880 W @240V if you just want to charge faster without buying anything except a male 240 v plug such as a 6-15 p would work. (15*240*.8=2880 W)
    An adapter can be made (or purchased specific to EV) to convert the 6-15 p to 20 A or 30 A if that is what is available at the receptacle, or for that matter to convert back to 120 V 15 A - (5-15 R) as a standby.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  10. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

This is the unit I have (almost a year now), and so far it's worked flawlessly. I also have a 100 amp service, but I didn't need a subpanel, just a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed (50 amp breaker). You may have code restrictions that require the subpanel, you should ask. I have the car recharge schedule set to between 12M and 6AM when we're unlikely to use the stove or dryer, and have had no issues overloading the system, even with all AC's running. The portability of this charger appealed to me because with an adapter I can use a dryer outlet at someone else's house if the occasion arose (so far it hasn't). When it was new the plug was a pretty tight fit, but after a few uses it loosened up and it's pretty easy now. If you choose this you'll be happy with it.

11. Mruhland

Mruhland New Member

Thanks. I originally thought it was manual to convert. May try a converter as you mentioned first.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Be careful. You can't just pop-in a 50A breaker on any circuit (wiregage). 40A needs AWG 8-3 (tyipical for stoves), 30A needs AWG 10-3 wire (typically used for dryers). 50A breaker needs a circuit wired with AWG 6-3 wire.

If you want to "future proof" your installation go to 50A. Plug-in install is more flexible.

14. RE: 50A breaker needs a circuit wired with AWG 6-3 wire...

Actually T2 column 2 (75 degrees) in the CEC 2018 Version 24th edition displays clearly #8 is fine for an allowable ampacity of 50 amps and utilizing Table 13 the ampacity of this conductor is permitted to be protected with a 50A overcurrent device (breaker).
    With a continuous load (EVSE), the maximum is 40 amps (50*.8) which is where the limit is for the overcurrent device (9600 watts - 240V *40A ), more than most conventional EVSE and certainly more than the on board charger rating of N.A. Kona Electric:)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    apu likes this.
  15. Would not meet Ontario code. Note that there are code variations across regions, provinces, states, cities etc.

Just check and stick to your local code.