Navigation Update

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Brewer Fan, Jun 20, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

I’m sorry to be posting this and I’m sure other people have already posted something similar but I’m new to this forum and I haven’t quite got the hang of searching. We just picked up our 2023 mini SE and the navigation map seems dated. We have a 2020 BMW that we updated the navigation map and it is newer than what I have on the Mini. Do you know how you check to see if you have the latest map installed? Thanks so much

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Never be sorry for posting questions (unless they're in bad taste or irrelevant like so many of my posts). No one could possibly read or even accurately search (I often have trouble searching for my own posts) this well-moderated, but barely-organized forum.

I've received Over-the-Air map updates, but I don't know any way to make them happen.

Edit: Here's a recent thread about Points of Interests that owners would like updated in the nav system.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  4. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Depending on where you are, the MINI maps seem to be good or (in my case) terrible.

My house is ~3 years old and I still can't even add my own address because the map tells me it doesn't exist. Detours and construction are never accurate, existing chargers do not show up, and the nav will frequently try to send me 100mi away because it doesn't know the destination 3mi away exists.

There are random map updates but I was not able to find any way to force it.

5. insightman

1. Navigation
    2. Settings
    3. Position and software version
    4. Software version
    Took me to this screen:
    upload_2022-6-20_18-44-10.png
    I had to up the contrast for the info in the Automatic map update: IL IN MI WI 2022-1
    If I want to go south to Ohio, I'm on my own, update-wise (but people from Ann Arbor don't like going to Ohio anyway). It appears I don't get updates for @Carsten Haase's street (and neither does he).

Carsten Haase likes this.
  6. Joe c

Joe c Member

I'm also interested in knowing the answer to this question. I've read from other Mini forums that mini provides 3 years of free updates to the navigation, and also that there is a way to update via USB. On some of the forums at least for UK users they can go to the Mini UK site and download map updates onto a USB stick. I have no idea how to do this in North America, if anyone has any insight into this it would help!

azausa likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

I have no insight (I sold my last one in 2020), but I googled this BimmerTech page that explains you need both the map data and an activation code. BMW/MINI must not give these updates away, however, or updating would be free and easy.

9. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

Interesting....my house is ~1.5 years old and is on the map.

10. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

IMG_0461.jpeg

11. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

To the OP, your Nav software should update automatically at some point if it is out dated. I was prompted to update the Nav software several weeks back after a year of owning the SE.

From what I've read on this forum, it's a mix of opinions on the SE Navigation. I am in the camp which does not like it. The voice recognition is not good compared to Apple, and I find the map graphics more complicated and difficult to read compared to Carplay Nav. But, luckily, I have the option of using CarPlay instead!

Quorn and azausa like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

This past weekend I tried to use the nav voice commands to set to a destination in Michigan. The system told me I didn't have enough charge to make it to Queens, NY.

After abandoning the voice-command option and entering my destination manually, the nav system did just what I wanted. On the return trip, I somehow accidently silenced the audible directions, but the directions on the head-up display were sufficient. Maybe someday I'll read the manual, but I was happy the system was somewhat intuitive.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  14. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I've had a similar experience. I was trying to get directions to a new development in a near-by town, and the nav kept telling me that my destination was hundreds of miles away in New York. We argued about the preferred method of getting there, but that's another complaint for another time.

15. Does the turn by turn navigation of Apple come out on the HUD?

16. Here in NZ, we do not have OTA updates, our map updates are via USB, we go to the mini-connected.co.nz, enter our credentials (same as the one you used to login on the MINI app, then go to USB Update. This will ask you to load your VIN and for a USB with no files, then it will proceed to load the files into the USB, which you will plug into the SE when you update the map.

Here is how the (NZ) map version looks like, noting there is no notice of automatic update. IMG_5680.JPG

17. The map once directed us to a cul-de-sac, which I know was wrong bec the house was not there, so we went back to the street corner and re-entered the same address and we followed the new route and arrived at the house. Then I realise that the cul-de-sac was behind the correct house; so was the MINI seeing a supposedly straight road from the cul-de-sac to the house?

18. GvilleGuy

No - CarPlay Nav does not display in the HUD.

azausa likes this.
  19. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Not yet...Apple’s “next generation” of CarPlay plans to take over every screen in your car. Even though that's coming this year, I'd be surprised if our SEs will take advantage of it without needing some sort of update. So maybe never on existing cars?

Heck, I'm still waiting for MINI to support Apple's EV range tracking, and that's just an app update on the iPhone.

azausa likes this.
  20. GvilleGuy

Agreed on all of that. I hope one year we can show off our fully integrated CarPlay displays, but probably not any time soon.

azausa likes this.
  21. Yup, this seems to be more of a dream really. The good thing really is that I love driving the MINI SE, and I’m willing to do all of that pre-planning for road trips bec here in NZ, the Apple Map EV charging nor the MINI Maps can include chargers when planning for road trips, good thing ABRP can.

GvilleGuy likes this.