My HV Battery Warranty Replacement Experience

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by AnthonyW, Jul 5, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I have been on. I just had my battery replaced under warranty and here are the details.

In the beginning I really took care of and babied my battery. After the pandemic hit, however, not so much. Car was just off the boat when I purchased it in 2018. 15 months later the battery capacity was still high at 54.2%. That first year I kept the charge between 85% to 35% and never let it go below 30%. I fully charged it twice a week. Did 80% EV driving and 60% of the charge was on Lvl 2 and 40% was lvl 1. Took great care to park in the shade at work and in the garage overnight. Once the pandemic hit I worked from home and the car sat for 8 months rarely if ever being driven. I kept it charged at around 60% and trickle charged the 12v. Was not able to keep it garaged or shaded and didn't do a good job of keeping the windows down during the summer. So it sat through long bouts of 100F summer temps and some -5F winter temps.

About a month and a half ago I turned it on one day and all kind of warning lights popped up. When driving I experienced a couple of instances or sudden loss of power. Dealerships was backed up and it took about 3 or 4 weeks to get me in. In the meantime I did some digging.

The DTC's that came up were:

P144A HV Battery Pack Voltage Variation Exceeded Limit
    P0A7F HV Battery Pack Deterioration
    P0B0E HV Battery Pack Current Sensor B Circuit

I disconnected the 12v and left it disconnected for 2 and a half days and that did not clear anything. The battery capacity was at 48.4 ah after 3 years and 40,000 miles. After studying the data for a month with Car Scanner I determined that pack A was just fine. Pack B was the problem. The difference between the Max SOC and Min SOC was very small on pack A but miles apart on Pack B. See the first picture.
    upload_2022-7-5_15-11-25.png
    [​IMG]

You may notice that the battery capacity shows 54.98 in the screenshot above. The reading was taken after I took it into Honda the first time. They reset the DTC's and magically the capacity went up from 48.4 to 54.98. Of course that is not possible but I imagine they reset the value so that the car could recalculate it from a fresh start. I don't know how long that would take but it never happened in the weeks I had the car before the replacement.

So as you can see while pack A is less than 1% apart pack b has a 30% gap. Even when fully charged the gap was never less than 5% Sometimes pack b would get stuck and not do anything. They car actually drove better when that happened even though I only had 20 miles of range:
    [​IMG]
    upload_2022-7-5_15-11-41.png

I eventually found the culprit. 2 cells were throwing everything out of whack. They were B67 and B68. I made a chart of the Car Scanner data and as you can see 82 out of the 84 cells in pack b are right close together. The remaining 2 are the outliers and seemingly the main culprit.

Note that I scaled the next 4 voltage charts voltage range on the y axis and time steps on the x axis so that visually they are all apples to apples.

Pack B voltage by cell distribution
    upload_2022-7-5_15-11-59.png
    [​IMG]

Here is pack A:
    [​IMG]
    upload_2022-7-5_15-12-7.png

So the replacement battery finally arrived from California and was installed. I asked the service advisor to see if it was refurbished or brand spanking new. He said he check and it was brand new. I also asked him to check how long ago was it manufactured but he could not find that information. My thought is that its been sitting in some hot warehouse in Cali for a couple of years. I asked for the Electric Powertrain readout and the tech did a printout of it just after he installed the battery and was doing his checks. Here are some notable stats:

Capacity: 55.0 AH :)
    Individual Max SOC 30% :(
    Individual Min SOC 27% :( :(

Of the couple of hundred reading on the list everything was normal or in range except for Battery Charger VAC Low. It shows as "Failed". Not sure what that means...

So I fear that the battery has probably been sitting for a while and slowly discharging. Further adding to my concern is it looks like the beginning of the same problem is showing up in new pack B (maybe new pack A too). I checked many posts and saw that just about everyone who posted SOC data from Car Scanner both packs A and B max and min's were very close to each other and mostly within 0.3% of each other.

No such luck here. Before I drove out the parking lot I took a reading and pack A has 1.2% spread (93.01% vs 91.81%)...okay...probably not the end of the world. Pack B however has a 4.36% spread (94.78% vs 90.42%)....hmmn...

Here is the voltage of new pack B (remember this is to same scale as the 2 voltage charts above and one below):
    upload_2022-7-5_15-12-21.png

[​IMG]

Here is the voltage of new pack A
    upload_2022-7-5_15-12-28.png
    [​IMG]

Oh well, there is nothing I can do about it for now but keep an eye on it. Maybe over time the cells voltage range will tighten up. I have had it for 10 days now and have "exercised" it a bit by fully charging it and running it down to 30% and the gaps still persists.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

@AnthonyW,

For some reason, your images did not come through in your post... They show up as broken images with next to them.
    I am very interested in seeing the images. Thanks for the detailed discussion of what you have been through.

Perhaps you could try to post the images again?

My thought is that the new battery needs to go through some balancing cycles and it is likely that the min/max SOC's will tighten up. I am not certain when balancing occurs, but I have always been suspicious that it might be during the last 10 minutes of charging because the input current gradually tapers down during that time.

4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I can see some pics but not all

5. AnthonyW

@MrFixit I went back in and reinserted the images. Hopefully that works. If not I might need to put them in a zip file and upload them. I haven't seen much balancing at the end of a full charge on the old battery or new one. There is always a gap. I have seen what appears to be passive balancing when the car is off. For instance say I have driven for a while and make a stop and the car is off for an hour. When I come back and look at the SOC's they are closer together then when I turned it off. Now that could be the difference between a closed circuit voltages readings after the battery has discharged to a proper open circuit voltage reading when I come back and turn the car back on. I still have a lot of csv files to export out of Car Scanner so once I do that maybe we can see a pattern,

6. MrFixit

Wait, now I am seeing images. There are still some broken icons, but I think the images may all be there.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. AnthonyW

There should be six images. Two Carscanner screenshots and 4 excel charts.

9. MrFixit

Yes, all there now. I guess the broken image symbols are now irrelevant.

10. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

You might contact your local electrical utility to verify your in home voltage is reasonable. That is to say, with age, a transformer can allow too high a voltage. It might make sense to even hire an electrician to verify if the utility doesn't come out for free. I mean to check voltage coming into your home.

I say this because you say "Further adding to my concern is it looks like the beginning of the same problem is showing up in new pack B (maybe new pack A too)." In short, if your situation, for any reason, has a condition which is causing a problem, Honda may not be happy to keep replacing the battery pack.

-Dan

PS/FYI: I had a situation at my home where the utility was providing unusually high voltage. They did replace my transformer to correct the condition. I didn't notice due to any problems with my Clarity, but my heatpump may of died prematurely, and this may of been related.

11. MrFixit

On your "New", "Pack B" plot, there are 2 distinctive groups. It looks like roughly half of the cells are low. The text is hard to read, but is there a pattern to the cells that are grouped together (for instance, are all the odd cells low and the even ones high)?

I don't know enough about the architecture but obviously this doesn't look like a random selection of cells. Either there is something systematic about the way they get charged in groups, or the cells themselves that caused these groupings. Could it be that Honda bins these cells and this pack was fabricated from whatever bins were left over at the end of the production run (or similar). It may be perfectly OK if these groupings correspond to the interconnection architecture such that the low cells are balanced with the other lows and the high cells are balanced with the other highs.

AnthonyW likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Again, i know nearly nothing here, but are there charging parts upstream that could be affecting specific packs or cells? I.e. to point above, are certain cells charged off 1 trunk?

14. AnthonyW

Dan,

Interesting point. I dug out my Killawatt and measure. I am getting a steady 121 volts and 16 amps. Charging at my house would not have any bearing on the new battery as it was just installed 8 days ago and I have only charged it 3 times. Also I recorded this data the minute I picked up the car before I left the dealership lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

15. AnthonyW

I haven’t had the time to really dig into it since I figured out how to export the Car Scanner data recording. My work is in data analytics and statistical analysis so I am going to gather all the data into an Access database and see what correlations and trends I can identify.

A quick visual check may support your thoughts of a refurbished pack. There does appear to be a pattern in the 7 banks (12 cells each). In each bank the voltage of each cell is very close. When comparing banks as a whole it looks like banks 1,3,4, and 6 are within a tight range (3.678v +\- 0.005) and banks 2,5, and 7 are in another range (3.880v +\- 0.005).

From all the other max/min SOC readings that everyone has posted, I seem to have the largest variation.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  16. AnthonyW

Her are the screenshots of the voltage reading I just took. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. MrFixit

The numbers you just posted seem much tighter than what you originally measured.
    They range from 3864.4 to 3883.2 That is a 19 mV spread (much better than the 200 mV you found initially).
    Perhaps the BMS is working on these new cells and reaching a proper balance.
    The new numbers seem almost normal.

18. fdnnews

fdnnews New Member

Thanks for posting your experience. I've posted before about issues with my 2018 battery (75k miles), and just in the past few weeks I saw the P0A7F code. I plan to take it to the dealer soon to see what they say.

What sort of warranty does the replacement battery pack have - the remainder of the original warranty (my guess), a new 100k (would be nice), or something else?

Again, thanks for posting. The techs at my local Honda dealer haven't been the greatest so I've been hesitant about taking it in, but I don't see any way around it with the new codes.

19. MrFixit

I remember you had done some measurements back in February. Have you collected any more data since this P0A7F code has appared?

20. AnthonyW

Remainder of the original warranty. Dealership gives a 12 month warranty if the original has ran out.

21. AnthonyW

You make a good point. I need to be consistent in my measurements. Going forward I will collect open circuit voltage readings after a full charge and also at nominal 3.7v. Then I will compare full charge to full charge and nominal to nominal. By normalizing as such, I should have much more reliable data to analyze over time.

navguy12 likes this.
  22. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Looks like I need to start getting things configured to look at my clarity. My old Soul EV had a cell failure and had a second replacement pack in its 50k and change life :(

I’m hoping the Niro does better with its actively cooled battery pack

23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Are you worried your Soul EV's battery failure is contagious? How close to the Soul do you park your Clarity?

I'm glad Honda implemented liquid cooling for the Clarity's battery. I've read stories about Nissan Leaf battery failures, but didn't know the Soul also had battery longevity problems.