My first Mini roadside service experience

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Jan 3, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

To cut right to it: my first use of the Mini roadside service was great! I'm just sorry I had to use them. Flatbed tow to my Mini dealer successful. And I wish the SE had a small spare tire and jack so that I could have simply handled it myself.

The Scene: New Years Eve, heavy rain, and I was not with my Mini SE. It was being driven by someone else. My wife and I were driving in a separate car to the same location - a live theater show (80s rock songs) for New Years Eve. The unnamed driver of my SE curbed the Mini in the heavy downpour in the dark right near the theater. They drove it slowly into a nearby parking space as the low tire pressure warning popped up after the impact.

I arrived at the theater lobby a short while later to find the upset and shaking driver, who was very nervous about how I would react. I smiled and told them three times in five minutes that stuff happens, and NOT to worry about the accident. I didn't even go and look at the Mini before the show started.

We had a great time at the show and rung in 2022 with live music and friends and family (and masks)! Then I went and checked on the car. No visible rim damage in the darkness (whew!), but I could not find where the hole was. Since it was 12:30 AM, and the Mini was parked in a VERY safe area, I left it and went home.

First thing the next morning I went back to the Mini. The wheel was perfect - no curb rash. There was a half inch hole in the tire sidewall right next to the wheel rim. I started the Mini and it immediately prompted me with the critical flat warning and a prompt to call roadside. My experience with the operator was great - they contacted the towing service (I verified twice that the service would send a flatbed).

The roadside operator said that my Mini dealer was closed for New Years, but that I could have the Mini towed to my house, and then get it towed a second time to the Mini dealer at no charge. I said that would be great.

Within 30 minutes the flatbed arrived. The driver told me that he just finished towing a BMW to my Mini/BMW dealer and that service was open for a few more hours - so we agreed he would just transport it straight to the dealer. He evaluated the flat tire and showed me how the collapsed tire was still in place and had a protective rim of rubber preventing the wheel from touching the pavement. He told me this to reassure me as he proceeded to slowly drive the Mini the short distance to the ramp of the flatbed.

So my Mini was towed to the dealer, and today I wait for them to call me about getting a new tire or two. My tires have 6,500 miles on them, so I'm not sure if I will be buying one new tire or two.

Flat.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. wessy

wessy Active Member

Ouch! VERY sorry to hear about the mishap, @GvilleGuy, but I really appreciate your sharing your experience with MINI Roadside Assistance with us! It’s an encouraging report — sounds like we’re in pretty good hands with them.

And glad you enjoyed the New Year’s Eve show! :) Hope concern about your car didn’t put too much of a damper on your night out.

Urbanengineer and GvilleGuy like this.
  4. GvilleGuy

I was able to put it out of my head for the show, for the most part!

wessy likes this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That's what the tire goo that comes with the SE is for, or run flats. MINI doesn't do spare tires anymore, I don't believe. And thankfully most everyone has gotten away from those dangerous mini spares.

The tire goo may not have helped with your particular damage, but run flats would certainly have allowed driving it to the dealer. I've always used run flats on my ICE MINIs, but the greater noise and lower efficiency may not be ideal for the SE.

Glad to hear everything worked out well.

6. mole

mole New Member

June 21 L2 in UK.
    Just received mail from dealer recalling car for reprogramme of encoded data. Seems if emergency call is triggered to the Control Centre the drive type of vehicle is not transmitted which will not highlight the special features and needs of the Mini that the rescue services would require. Evidently a 2 hour 'pit stop' to update. Maybe this is just a UK / release issue, but it might apply in other countries.

wessy and GvilleGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Laker2016

Laker2016 New Member

What is "run flats"?

9. My first MINI was a 2002 Cooper S. It came with Pirelli Euphoria RunFlats. They were stickier than Gorilla tape but with that sort of grip, it comes with a reduction of tread life. Typically, I went thru a set of those in 25,000 km (15,500 miles). At $400 a tyre, I switched after 3 sets to regular tyres and some tire goo but I never did have a flat.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

Texas22Step, wessy and GvilleGuy like this.
  10. piflechien

piflechien New Member

I got the same recall notification on the Mini App on Sunday .

wessy likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It's fabulous luck that your wheel didn't suffer any damage! I hope your dealer won't have any trouble getting a Hankook replacement tire right away.

Texas22Step, wessy and GvilleGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Run flats (or run on flats) are tires with reinforced sidewalls that can be driven on even when the tire has no air. BMW and MINI (a subsidiary of BMW) use them a lot.

14. insightman

I believe the SE is the only MINI Cooper that doesn't come with run-flat tires, for which I'm very glad. Well, I'm glad my SE didn't come with run-flats, but I don't care that they're exclusive to the SE.

Texas22Step likes this.
  15. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I’m not really sure why anyone in an electric car would be more likely to want to be stranded along the road with a flat tire. I don’t really understand the BMW logic by not including run flat tires on the SE or at least making them an option.

My first mod was upgrading my SE’s tires to Pirelli P1 run flats. I have approx 5K miles on the tires and have not observed any appreciable degradation of range.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

F14Scott and GvilleGuy like this.
  16. GvilleGuy

And I'm still waiting for the service department to get back to me after several messages left with different people. I can't get anyone on the phone. For one flat tire. I will be considering run flats in the future.

17. GvilleGuy

So they had to order a tire for me - supposed to come tomorrow by 5 PM. At least three business days to get a flat tire replaced by Mini (plus the full weekend, but I wasn't counting that against them). It's a good thing I had other cars available to me. I like roadside service. Mini dealer service, not so much.

18. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

The theory is that reducing unsprung weight will increase the range, but I don't know how well that holds up to reality.

I wanted run-flats for my winter tires but tires are so hard to find right now that I ended up going with conventional tires. A lot of people complain endlessly about the harsh ride of run-flats, but they've never bothered me personally.

What is most bizarre to me is that they don't let you spec all seasons.

Edit: and as for EV owners being more willing to be stranded, just look at how many threads there are on here about how to maximize range!

19. insightman

It's good MINI can deliver that tire. I just checked Tire Rack (again) and they don't sell the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 in the SE's 205/45R17 size.

While perusing Tire Rack, I saw a tire I didn't know about, the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 EV, which they also don't carry in the 205/45R17 size. I assumed MINI chose the Ventus S1 Evo 3 instead of one of the run-flat tires they put on all non-electric MINI Coopers because it offered low rolling resistance. Does the EV version offer lower rolling resistance? Was the EV version not sticky enough for MINI?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    Texas22Step and GvilleGuy like this.
  20. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I think it's more the thicker sidewall required for run flats to work, the weight is just a side effect of the extra sidewall rubber.

As the tire goes around, some energy is put into deforming the rubber sidewall of the tire (and turned into heat) and thicker sidewalls require more energy to deform meaning they are less efficient.

The sidewalls on the 16" OE tires are incredibly thin, I can compress the unmounted tire with just one finger! Probably one of the reasons they're so efficient.

21. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

If all of that is true, wouldn’t it be just as true for an ICE car? All cars are being designed to maximize efficiency, not just BEV’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

22. insightman

If MINI really cared about efficiency, their Hardtops would look like my gen-1 Insight instead of a couple of boxes. The reason they care more about efficient tires on the SE is because it has such limited range. The company assumes people driving ICE MINIs are willing to trade efficiency and a better ride for the ability to drive on a flat tire.

23. Luis Hoffer

Luis Hoffer Member

I had a relatively good experience using the tire puncture kit that is included with our Mini's. I was the lucky recipient of a 4 inch wood screw in the drivers rear tire. Did not get the tire pressure warning until I got home. Proceeded to pull the screw out and follow the instructions in the manual. Quick tip to get the sealant the fill the puncture.

Position the puncture so its positioned toward the road/ground that way the sealant will collect toward at the bottom of the tire toward the puncture. I still had to drive back in forth a few feet to distribute the sealant in the tire but the sealant quickly stopped the leak. The compressor that is included in the kit is actually really powerful.

Alfa Guilia's use the same kit.