Move EVSE vs Electrician

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Aug 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

When we upgraded to 200 A service and an automatic, natural gas, generator, the 50 A circuit went to a NEMA 14-50 in an all weather box. Located to the right of automatic transfer switch, a water hose mount on the tree held the J1772 from the JuiceBox 40 Pro:
    IMG_1981.jpg
    There was easy front door access but this is the narrow part of the driveway. Not shown but there is slope to the right which is not a good way to bypass a charging car.

We needed equal access to either the Tesla or BMW i3 without being blocked in. Closer to the kitchen would be better where both cars can park.

Ordinarily, moving the NEMA 14-50 circuit would require a +$500 electrician or a permit and inspection of my work with the city. Instead, I relocated the EVSE to the left of the transfer switch and used mason bolts and tie-wraps to hold the J1772 cable run to the opposite corner:
    IMG_1983.jpg
    Still, there was only 5-6 ft of slack which made a challenge.

I modified the hose rack and installed my spare, 24 ft J1772 extension. Now both cars can park in the back and either be easily charged:
    IMG_1985.jpg
    There is easy access to the laundry room ramp into the kitchen. This is enough for now although there is a potential trip hazard.

Long term, I may mount a split, cable conduit to hold the J1772 and protect it from sun and other hazards. Splitting the conduit means I won't have to disassemble either end of the cable.

I might configure an all-weather box with a J1772 socket, some glue logic, and a pair of NEMA 5-20, ground fault, outlets. Since this is at home, we could charge either car at 15 A, 1.8 kW, overnight. In parallel, that would be 3.6 kW total. If in a rush, either car can use the full NEMA 14-50, 9.6 kW.

There is another approach, a NEMA 14-50 style extension cord in a conduit and relocate the EVSE to the kitchen corner of the house. This would also allow splitting the NEMA 14-50 cable with two NEMA 5-20 for powering a security camera using 'stupid' wiring.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  2. To remove this ad click here.