Model 3 2023 Wheel Hub Inquiry

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Betty, Sep 13, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Betty

Betty New Member

Hello Tesla Community,

I hope you're all doing well. I've been closely following the developments around the Model 3 2023, and one aspect that has piqued my interest is its wheel hub design. The wheels on a Tesla can significantly impact both aesthetics and performance, so I'm eager to learn more about the options available for this model.

As we know, Tesla consistently pushes the envelope in design and innovation, and I believe the Model 3 2023 is no exception. However, I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate your insights and experiences if you've had the opportunity to explore the wheel hub choices for this model.

Wheel Options: What wheel options are available for the Model 3 2023? I'm particularly interested in knowing about the different designs, sizes, and materials.

Performance Impact: Have you noticed any significant performance differences between the various wheel options, such as handling, range, or ride comfort?

Aesthetics: How do the different wheel designs complement the Model 3's overall look? Do they enhance its visual appeal and uniqueness?

Maintenance: Are there any specific maintenance considerations or challenges associated with the different wheel designs?

Cost: What is the pricing range for the wheel options, and do you feel they offer good value for the cost?

Customization: Can you customize the wheels or choose from additional aftermarket options to personalize your Model 3 2023's appearance?

Tire Options: What tire choices are available for the Model 3 2023, and have you noticed any differences in terms of traction and road noise?

Winter Performance: For those in colder climates, how do the wheel options fare in winter conditions, and are there any recommended choices for snowy or icy roads?

I'm seriously considering getting a Model 3 2023, and the choice of wheels is a significant factor in my decision-making process. Whether you own the vehicle, have insights into the available options, or can share your thoughts on wheel-related aspects, your input would be tremendously helpful.

Thank you all in advance for sharing your knowledge and experiences. Let's use this forum to discuss and gain a deeper understanding of the wheel hub choices for the Model 3 2023.

Best regards,
    Betty

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I share the same curiosity but from a slightly different perspective. My lighter weight wheels and tires have already shown a measured performance improvement up to 45 mph. But above that speed, wheel drag slightly decreases performance. An SAE paper points to air leakage through the wheel as being a primary cause.

I have some experimental approaches:
    • fully enclosed hub caps
    • partially enclosed wheel wells
    • aero mud flaps
    Bob Wilson

4. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Many of these questions can be answered at the Tesla website: All M3 hubs are the identical, but Tesla offers a number of different wheels - and there are MANY aftermarket manufacturers making a variety of wheels for Tesla vehicles from a variety of different materials. Wheel prices range from about $600 to several $K each, not including tires.

The taller the sidewall, the more comfortable the ride. And the quieter the ride. And the greater the range. And the less likely to damage the wheel on impact: This is the reason to select the 18" wheels. Using the configurator on the Tesla website you can see the impact of wheel size on range from model to model.

Many manufacturers make EV-specific tires nowadays and Tesla has switched through a variety of manufacturers over the years: The 2023 M3 RWD comes with Hankook tires. The best tires for winter performance are winter-specific "snow" tires: Tesla's website even offers a complete set of wheels with snow tires installed - as well as multiple types of wheel chains for driving on icy roads.

As to the aero advantage of Tesla wheel covers, independent tests are showing that the plastic covers provide a less than 1% increase in range over not having them. I know several folks who have ditched the aero covers and purchased the $60 set of hub covers from Tesla for their 18" spoked wheels.

Aesthetics is totally subjective so you're on your own with that one: Current automotive "fashion" is for huge wheels with minimal rubber. But remember: No matter what you do to your 2023, it's still a six-year-old design - and the newly refreshed Model 3 is coming soon. The most distinctive thing people do to set their Tesla apart from the herd is to have it wrapped in a non-standard color: I saw a Model X the other day that looked as if it was made of frosted blue "beach" glass! I have a friend whose wife will only allow him to buy a Model Y if he has it wrapped in her favorite shade of green...

5. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

6. AnthonyOsborne

AnthonyOsborne New Member

Thanks for answering.

Kerbe likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.