Little chilly in Dixie

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bwilson4web, Jan 17, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

So I'm using camp mode to keep the Tesla ready for any errand:
    upload_2024-1-17_22-5-36.png

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just curious, the image shows the car plugged in, I wasn't aware camp mode or dog mode could be activated while tethered.

4. bwilson4web

Works fine, plugged in. Perfect for overnight at an RV park.

Bob Wilson

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

That seems like overkill, Bob: Why not just turn on preconditioning? The cabin will heat in a few minutes and then maintain the temperature you've set - and the battery will precondition in about 30 minutes.

6. bwilson4web

Probably "over kill." Sad to say, "camp mode" does not keep the battery toasty, my real objective. I found Saturday that though the cabin was comfortable the 'battery cold' indication was on until I drove it about 10-15 miles on errands.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Admittedly my M3 has a heat pump so may behave differently than yours but all you need to do is to click the little "fan" icon below the image of your car in the app and the cabin and battery will both pre-heat. It will take just a few minutes for the cabin, but more like half to three quarters of an hour for the battery.

I've only done this while plugged into an L2 wall connector: I don't know if the batteries will preheat while not plugged in or while plugged into an L1 receptacle. I should experiment to find out...

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I experimented, as promised: I found that, if my M3 was unplugged, preconditioning would only heat the cabin - not the battery pack. If I plugged into L1, the same: Cabin, not battery. Plugged into L2, however, both cabin and battery preconditioned.

10. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

22 dgrees F ? you're just wasting electricity running anything . Your car wont freeze at those temps. way to warm

11. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Southerners - especially those in the deep south - have a unique perspective on cold weather.

OneEV likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

Isnt that funny how we think about temps. 3 years ago I flew from Minnesota to Phoenix to pick up a chevy Bolt , got off the plane and it was 114F ..while even hot for the locals it was still pretty much ho hum as they went about their business

14. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member