Latent defect with PlugShare App, both IOS and Android

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Sep 26, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The PlugShare App on iPhone and Android have an undocumented feature that hides about 5% of the SuperChargers. I opened a case with PlugShare support and their last e-mail response said in effect, 'no problem.'

HOW TO REPLICATE

Start the App using SuperCharger filter. I found the problem with the Athens SuperCharger but replicated it with Nashville TN, Atlanta GA, or any urban area with a reasonable number of SuperChargers:

Where is Athens SuperCharger?

[​IMG]

What is that little green dot in Athens close to the SuperChargers?

[​IMG]

The green dot calls itself a SuperCharger but that is not the icon

[​IMG]

Both the IOS App and Android App hide ~5% of all SuperChargers by the "Requires Fee" filter

[​IMG]

Turn on the filter and 5% of the SuperChargers suddenly show up including the one in Athens AL

[​IMG]

I replicated the same behavior at Nashville, TN and Athens, GA. The filter does not exist on the Web interface to PlugShare.

FOLLOW-UP

Apparently the PlugShare support staff I've been working with believes the inconsistent behavior of "Requires Fee" is perfectly OK. I suspect they do not have a Tesla. Regardless, it sounds like they want the PlugShare App "Requires Fee" to continue to hide 5% of the Tesla SuperChargers.

Bob Wilson

ps. The following SuperCharger icons are affected by the App defective "Requires Fee" (@Domenick could you share this with 'the powers that be'?) :
    • Kinston Supercharger NC
    • Freehold Supercharger NJ, Robinsville Supercharger NJ
    • West Jax Supercharger FL, St Augustine Supercharger FL
    • Birmingham - Hopwood UK, Hilton Park Southbound Supercharger UK
    • Vikensa Supercharger Norway, Bygland Supercharger Norway

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

We have an effective workaround, setting "Requires Fee" on that shows 100% of the Superchargers. But there is a labor intensive, second approach.

I used the Plugshare web interface to relocate the Athens AL Supercharger pin to the parking lot AND turn off "Cost" showing a charging fee. This moved if from the 5% that show up or disappear depending on "Requires Fee." Initial results look good but this is at risk of the "Wiki Wars" when the last editor reverses the changes of a previous editor. For example, this is what the zoomed Athens image looks like:
    athens_SC_240.jpeg
    The original "green dot" remains so I'll wait a couple of business days to see if my change is backed out.

Bob Wilson

4. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Why don't you just leave the 'Requires Fee' tab on?

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I have run into somewhat similar issues - if I configure the filter for a minimum of 50kW chargers (to try and hide the 24kW DCFC sites), there are a ton of normal chargers that disappear. The database apparently doesn't have the charge rates set correctly for all chargers (i.e. some must have '0'), and plugshare just hides sites that don't have this set.

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I've complained to them about the 24kW vs 50kW thing. They need an additional filter threshold.

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

Good news, Plugshare support has escalated the disappearing Supercharger problem to their engineers.

Bob Wilson

9. bwilson4web

Retesting reveals the Supercharger problem is fixed. A snapshot of CCS-1 chargers shows some effect but I don't use them enough to be a good judge.

Let me suggest the CCS-1 EV owners check Plugshare for their local areas. Switch between "Requires Fee" ON and OFF to see if the fast DC chargers shown matches your experience. Sad to say, I can't really test CCS-1 Plugshare.

Huntsville has only two, CCS-1 chargers. The working one is at a local BMW/Jaguar/Land Rover dealership but locked up at night. The broken one has parking fees during the business day but no kWh or charge time rate. When it is fixed, I may edit the entry to reflect no charging fees but there are business day parking fees.

Bob Wilson

10. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I wouldn't call this a bug, as technically the superchargers do require a fee for some drivers, additionally, if a parking fee is required, I would call it requires a fee.