KM/KWH

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by GPM432, Oct 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I can't seem to grasp this. The kM/KWH..... Which is more efficient. Say 4.1KM/KWH or
    8.2 KM/KWH...Thanks in advance

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The more KM per KWH the more efficient the the driving is . So 8.2 km per KWH is twice as efficient as 4.1 KM/KWH. Think of it this way if you only have one KWH how far can you go. If you go 8.2 KM your doing a lot better than if you only go 4.1 KM. The higher the number the more efficient you are.

4. Yeah, it's interesting what type of measure you get comfortable with. In Canada, because we are metric the common measure is consumption (litres fuel or kWh electricity) per distance (kms). On ICE cars it is litres per 100 kms (eg 5.6l/100 kms) and on our Kona EV it is kWh per 100 kms (eg 14.2 kWh/100 kms. The higher the number, the worse it is.

In the US it is opposite,... distance per consumption unit, eg mpg or miles per kWh. And lower is better.

So it depends what you are used to, and how old you are,... haha. When I was young, it was mpg, and had to adapt..., although some never do.

5. A much easier way to evaluate the range/efficiency/cost etc is to use the kWh/100km setting.
    Steering wheel/ settings/other/ energy consumption unit/ kWh/100km
    Right now my dash accumulated display of 15.3 kWh/100km , if you divide 15.3 by 100 (2 decimal places) it equals .153 kWh or 153 watt hours per kilometer.
    It is an easy visual and no need to divide once you are used to it. (15.3 = 153 watt hours/km)
    If you pay 10 cents a kWh from your utility company, and you drive 10 km, at this efficiency this trip just cost you ; 1.533 kWh x 0.10 = 15.33 cents each km costing 1.53 cents.
    Works for trip planning as well.

6. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

I'm pretty sure more distance per unit is better, so higher is better!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well, it all has it's advantages and disadvantages. With kWh/100km it's hard to estimate how far you can go if you have half a battery 32kwh left.

That's far easier to calculate if you know your consumption is 4 miles/kWh.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Fastnf and electriceddy like this.
  9. Whoops, blew that, yes, higher is better.

10. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I seem to be between 7 and 8 which is ok with me.

11. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I seem to be between 7 and 8 which is ok with me

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. That sounds about right for the typical drive