Key Fob Sets Off Store Security Alarms

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jimct, Aug 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

For months now my exits from Walmart, Target and a few other box stores have been triggering the anti-shoplifting alarms, at times requiring an attendant to check my receipts or items for de-tagging. I just assumed the magnetic clip on my wallet had something to do with it, but today after alarms went off at Dick's Sporting Goods and Christmas Tree Shops, I gave my Kona key fob to my wife, who walked through the exit again separately and - yes, set off the alarm while I didn't. Anybody else experience this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Never. Not once.

4. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Never heard of this and I used to oversee the Loss Prevention Department of a large national chain whose name most would recognize. Even more surprising is that these two systems work on totally different principles. Do both of your keyfobs set off the alarms?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  5. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Good question, we'll check that out.

6. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

After Danhen's post I began to realize I should have had my wife walk through the exit without the fob to see if maybe she was carrying something. Lo and behold, she was carrying her small Coach purse, which was given to her as a gift by someone who works for Coach. A quick inspection turned up a little 2 inch long strip, which upon an internet search we determined to be the alarm setting culprit. Thinking back, she must have been with me all those times.
    [​IMG]

My apologies, everyone, for the false alarm. I should have investigated this further before posting.

mtd, Danhen, Domenick and 2 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Glad you found out the issue and I enjoyed reading the posts. No harm, no foul! :)

Jimct likes this.
  9. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

I think I'd be very weary of the person who gave you the bag with the security tag on it. :)

Jimct likes this.
  10. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Not uncommon for a cashier to forget to remove the tag, but normally the alarm is triggered when the customer who just paid for the bag is leaving the store.

But if the person who gifted this does not work in one of Coach's stores, that would not have happened. My guess is Coach is having the tags inserted into the bag when it's manufactured versus having the stores insert the tags.

Jimct likes this.
  11. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

We found the tag at the bottom of an inside pocket, which I now understand is common practice for Coach. In my online search I found quite a few blogs by people with the exact same experiences. Your post suggested to me that the fob was an unlikely culprit, prompting us to suspect the handbag - much appreciated.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Stella2015

Stella2015 New Member

Yes, I have a new Subaru and it sets off store detectors on the way INTO the store.