Is Tesla having chip supply problems?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Rob Rao, Aug 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rob Rao

Rob Rao New Member

I reserved a Model S Long Range in November 2020, finally received word that delivery is now scheduled for Oct 27 - Nov 16 2021. I understand the launch of the new model and deliveries starting in June, but a delay like this indicates severe supply chain problems
    Order Number RN114246750
    Order Fee $100
    Order placed with
    electronically accepted terms
    11/29/2020

Your Model S
    View Build Details

Your Model S build details

If you would like to make a change it may affect your delivery date and may be subject to a fee.
    Reservation NumberRN114246750
    Price$83,490
    (Excludes tax, registration, discounts and fees)
    Estimated Delivery: October 27 - November 16

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Tesla reports the 'chip shortage' led to some creative workarounds. They ported the software other microcontrollers. Since Tesla is vertically integrated, such flexibility makes sense. Sad to say, Tesla makes the Model S and X only at Fremont which the least optimized factory.

Some of the recent YouTube videos suggest the 1865 may be improved and there have been some reports of Panasonic and Tesla business discussions. The 1865 cells are made by Panasonic that reported losing money at Giga Nevada.

Bob Wilson

4. Woanho Park

Woanho Park New Member

Hello,

I'm Park Woan-ho, a graduate student from Korea majoring in power systems at Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology.

I’m writing to request a small bit of time for an informational interview. I’m currently starting to develop a platform service that connects electric vehicle chargers and electric vehicle drivers, and currently participating in the Tech Frontier Program at George Washington University, Washington DC.

As a part of this program, I am trying to understand the challenges faced by electric vehicle owners in charging their vehicles at shared charging stations at their residential facilities (Also, want to hear about the overall use of electric vehicles, so it's possible even though you don't charge at a shared charging station). As an owner of an electric vehicle, your perspective would be extremely valuable to me. Would you be willing to spare 20-minutes of your time for an interview over Zoom?

If you're willing to do the interview, please send an message or and email([email protected]), and we'll contact you to schedule a time on your terms. The interview will be conducted over zoom for 25 minutes.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
    Park Woan-ho.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Perhaps start with a poll about your interest. Then invite follow up.

Bob Wilson